Lunch Break Pictures

Just a few random shots on my way from work to the compound for lunch. (I don't always eat at the compound...but lately, I'm incredibly, incredibly bored of the food here, so I head back to the compound for lunch....I keep meaning to take some pictures of what types of food are available here...)


Yup, that's me....slowly (very slowly) learning how to use the new camera (that I bought back in December....)

Check out the little guy on the scooter. It always amazes me just how many people can actually fit on a scooter sometimes...

Or a bike, for that matter...


It seems to be orange season here...Except instead of orange...they're green?
I'm not sure what these are called, but they sure make any drive a lot longer. They are usually being pushed by 2-4 men/boys and full of trees, bags of grass, or baskets of bananas.

Like this:

Ahhh, garbage mountain. Just before Christmas, this was four or five times in size. AFTER Christmas when I came back, the garbage was spilling onto the road. I came back in March after vacation, and it was all gone. Not sure where it all went, but it looks to be accumulating again...
A few kids walking home for lunch


These ladies work from sun up to sun down, seven days a week, digging in the dirt for rocks. They then sell the rocks for an extremely small profit.

With their children...

Using whatever they can for shelter from the sun, rain or wind....


And just before the last turn off to the road to home, the Canal Pangalanes.
And that's it... I forgot to take pictures on my way back to work, but it's pretty much the same.




I'm slowly working on a post about some camp updates...and I went to a birthday party this Sunday, and helped host a birthday/pool party the Sunday before that, so I'll have some more exciting posts/pictures up as soon as I get some time...

3 comments:

  1. Greetings from Amman! waow Madagascar... it's so interesting to see pics from that immense island and read about life there, don't think I could ever live there, but it's fascinating. Will come back and read more!!

    http://expatfamilyinamman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always surprised to see there bare feet. I bet they are really tough. Good job with the camera. Love G@Gxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...this was a great post, Nicole. You certainly have a talent for capturing real-life, while entwining your descriptions with emotion... It reminds me that, although I live and work in Mada, I should really take more time to enjoy the culture, and count my blessings... xo

    ReplyDelete