Adventures with Sergio in Cooking

Sounds pretty exotic, hey?

As I posted earlier this week, I'm now living with the boy. For blog/anonimity purposes, the boy, will now be referred to as, Sergio. (No, that's not his real name!! But I think I like it. :D )

This weekend Sergio and I are having a couple of people over for some wine and a bite to eat...

The problem with this is....my track record for cooking is NOT GOOD. The last time I was near a stove, I nearly lost an eye....

My original menu was as follows:

Sergio & Nicole's First Dinner Party
Appetizer
Freshly purcahsed cheese and crackers
Main Course
Peanut Butter spread over freshly baked bread
Dessert
Locally grown bananas with locally made pastries made with Madagascar vanilla

Okay. *Maybe* the PB sandwhiches are a bit... um, pathetic... but do I really want to risk injury for a meal?

Using this menu....I wouldn't even need a sharp knife...there is just no risk involved...right??

Perfectly safe...

BUT, perfect would be boring....

So, my little adventure this weekend, with Sergio, will be in COOKING.

I was telling a national co-worker about this, and she started talking about her housekeeper. (By the way, the housekeeper does all of her cleaning, laundry, and grocery shopping for the equivalent of $15 CDN/month!!).

She said that if I wanted, her housekeeper would buy a wild chicken, KILL IT, clean it, and then give it to me. Then, my co-worker and her husband would take me on a grocery shopping (to the Bazar-kelly. I've been before and the experience was an interesting one....) and help me buy everything I need to make a Malagasy-inspired soup.

I thought about going with the housekeeper to buy the chicken...but then decided against it. I do need to eat the soup in the end...and I don't think I could if I saw the chicken take it's last breath. Okay.. .that's a bit dramatic (but true!).

So, I'd be having the help of some locals to get my food, I'd be making a dish that requires boiling everything (very important - kills all of the bacteria!!), making a local/traditional dish, AND saving my reputation as the world's worst cook. All at once!!!

Sounds like the start of a pretty exciting weekend.....

No comments:

Post a Comment