Museum, McDonalds, Mussels, & Mojitos

Well, I figure it's about time I get some posts with some pictures and stuff about my trip. I haven't totally decided how I'm going to do my vacation posts....they won't be day-by-day...because really....it's not all that interesting...

But here's my first real day in Paris. At least, I think it's my first day....I can't even really remember anymore!

The day started out with the train. Or the RER. Or whatever the hell it's called. I couldn't help but take a picture of these three sexy guys with their sexy matching hats.
After a couple of stops, we were at Versailles.
The Ch√Ęteau de Versailles is one of the most beautiful achievements of 18th-century French art. The site began as Louis XIII’s hunting lodge before his son Louis XIV transformed and expanded it, moving the court and government of France to Versailles in 1682. Each of the three French kings who lived there until the French Revolution added improvements to make it more beautiful.

Napoleon Bonaparte had the palace restored before staying here on many occasions with his second wife, Empress Marie-Louise. In 1963 Charles de Gaulle had it restored as a guesthouse for presidents of France and the northern wing, known as “Trianon-sous-bois”, was converted into an official presidential residence.

Okay....beautiful right? Like gorgeous.
Here's the thing.... I'm not all that interested in French history. There were optional guided tours, but I thought I was too good for those or something and didn't get one.

So bascially, I'm walking around a museum...where I don't like...understand what I'm looking at. Like okay, I get it, they are paintings. But of what? I don't know. Chubby French people in funny poses with funny mustaches??


So, we walk into this beautiful castle...chateau...whatever, try to dry ourselves off and this is the first room we enter.


Great. A flow chart of who lived here and when. Yawn. I know, I'm ignorant and uncultured. I'm okay with that.
But this must be a fun place...because there were hundreds of people everywhere looking at all the art and artifacts...Something has to catch my interest, right??
If I take my picture by this statue head....will I look like I fit in and that I'm interested???? Does it make me look more cultured???
Okay fine. In the end, I gave up trying and just took pictures of all of the naked people in paintings.
(Of which there are many....I've just uploaded a few....)


AND in the middle of this 18th century castle, they decide to put a Japanimation exhibit. Like RIGHT in the middle. So we are looking at like Napoleans bedroom, and then there is this freaky thing standing beside it...
...and then this like Sailor Moon type creature....
Just didn't seem to make sense???
But we kept on walking.


I would have liked to take a walk throught the gardens...but it was freezing and had torrential downpour...so I took a break from taking pictures of naked people in paintings and took a few pictures of the outside gardens.
And kept walking. This statue gave me some hope. It almost called out to me...Nicole!! Come this way!!! Go in this direction and you'll find some really cool stuff to look at!!
Yes. More people taking pictures of art that they don't have a clue about. But it looks famous-like....so it must be important...(and for all means it could very well be...again...I should have got a guided tour)...
I wanted some pictures of the outside, but the cyclone-like rain made it a bit difficult.
By this point I was FREEZING, was nearly peeing my pants (but didn't want to wait in the fifty-plus person line up), and hungry.
So we left. And what did we find???

Oh, Starbucks, my love. Toilets, hot coffee, and muffins. Ahhh.....
And I'm not at all embarrased to say, that while in Paris, after being ignorant and not enjoying the history of the Versailles, I had Starbucks and then McDonalds for lunch. Yes, McDonalds. Just call me an American.

After our bellies were full and our arteries were sufficiently clogged, we went back to the hotel for a nap. All this history stuff is tiring. We woke up in time for supper and found a Belgian restaurant.

Mussels and fries and beer!!! Yum!!!
After supper, the plan was to hit up the Eiffel Tower. But somehow....that plan turned into finding the next local bar, getting drunk, and going to bed at 2h00....


We had to walk around a bit to find an appropriate bar. I considered going in Les Galeries, but didn't want to take out a second mortgage to buy a sweater....
Pictures are free....so here's my only souvenir from Les Galeries...
Somehow we stumbled along this place.
Awesome music, awesome location, great seats, and just a cool atmosphere.


Appropriately had some Old Lady Gin (where can I buy this stuff???)
Followed by the WORLD'S BEST MOJITO. I've had my fair share of mojitos. And these were amazing. I could have drank five. (Ok....I did drink five).

And after five mojitos...it's nearly impossible to take pictures....so here's the last one of the night.
And before you even ask....yes the next day hurt....

1 comment: