Napoli!

Out of all the places that I went to on my France-Italy-Spain Vaca, I think Naples was my favorite. Unfortunately, I only had a day and a half in Naples, and it wasn’t enough time for me AT ALL!!! The city wasn’t particularly clean, I didn’t visit any real historic sites, I didn’t spend a lot of time there, but man, did I LOVE IT!!!

Founded in the 9th-8th century BC as a Greek colony, which was originally named Παρθενόπη Parthenope and later Νεάπολις Neápolis (New City), Naples is one of the oldest cities in the world. It was among the foremost cities of Magna Graecia, playing a key role in the transmission of Greek culture to Roman society. Naples eventually became part of the Roman Republic as a major cultural center; the premiere Latin poet, Virgil, received part of his education there and later resided in its environs. As a microcosm of European history, Naples has seen several civilizations come and go, each leaving traces in its art and architecture. The most prominent forms of architecture now visible derive from the Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque periods.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Look how pretty it is? Okay, so I didn’t take pictures of the stacks and heaps of garbage everywhere….but I still just loved the feel of this city!!!!
Drivers in Naples ARE FREAKING INSANE!!! I tried to count the number of cars that didn’t have scratches or dents on the sides of them…since lane markers and street signs are pretty much just guidelines…or…not really guidelines….but….maybe decorations?? We got off the ferry from Capri, walked around a bit, took some pictures, went to our hotel, and just enjoyed the atmosphere. Loved every minute of it.
We stopped for a few cocktails and took in the marina. Okay….maybe Sergio had a few too many cocktails. :)
We walked and walked….and tried to find a place for supper. We found a cute little bistro outside.
Now here’s some less boring facts…
The Ancient Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs and cheese. The Romans developed placenta, a sheet of flour topped with cheese and honey and flavored with bay leaves. Modern pizza originated in Italy as the Neapolitan pie with tomato. In 1889 cheese was added.
King Ferdinand I (1751–1825) is said to have disguised himself as a commoner and, in clandestine fashion, visited a poor neighborhood in Naples. One story has it that he wanted to sink his teeth into a food that the queen had banned from the royal court—pizza.
In 1889, during a visit in Naples, Queen Margherita of Savoy was served a pizza resembling the colors of the Italian flag, red (tomato), white (mozzarella) and green (basil). This kind of pizza has been named after the Queen as Pizza Margherita.
So, I guess, while in Naples, I didn’t do the museum thing or the touristy thing….but I tasted a slice of history? (And it was freaking fabulous!!!)

I'm so behind on my trip to Europe posts....only two more to go! Next stop Barcelona!!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, clicked to soon. I love the posts with a bit of history, pix....brings back memories when I was there....the food, the wine the history the pizza and prosecco were my fav!
    love, mom

    ReplyDelete