Aye-aye-aye-aye-aye!!

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights I walk home (Sergio goes to the gym and he’s the one with the truck. He drives me if it’s raining, but it’s much quicker to walk to the village then it is to drive. The roads are still a mess).

Each and every time I walk home, there is this one part in the pathway where I hear rustling in the bushes and then I hear something running off further from the path. I saw something cross the pathway once, but it was when walking home one night when it was totally dark out (and I was too mad to be scared) but couldn’t totally see what it was. It was kind of like a giant rat, but weirder. 

Last night Sergio and I were watching documentary on National Geographic on Madagascar and they featured many local animals, one of them being the Aye Aye Lemur. When I saw this guy, I thought FOR SURE!!! That’s it!! That’s the thing I hear (and have sort of seen) in the bush!!
According to Wikipedia (duh. I know this isn’t like the most reliable info…but it fits with my theory), “Due to its morphological features, the classification of the Aye-aye has been debated since its discovery. The possession of continually growing(front teeth) parallels those of rodents, leading early naturalists to mistakenly classify the Aye-aye within mammalian order Rodentia".
Also: “The Aye-aye lives primarily on the east coast of Madagascar. Its natural habitat is rainforest or deciduous forest, but many live in cultivated areas due to deforesting”.


The Aye-aye begins anywhere between 30 minutes before or 3 hours after sunset.” Fits my theory.

"Up to 80% of the night is spent foraging in the canopy.” Doesn’t really fit my theory. Whatever.

In my mind, the creature living in the bush that stirs every night I walk past it – is the Aye-Aye lemur, until proven otherwise Whatever it is, I like him because he stays in the bush – just long enough to make me jump a bit – and then is gone again.

Um…can you tell my brain is on holiday mode??!! It is ridiculously hard to concentrate. I’m caught between trying to wrap things up at work and tormenting a Malagasy Superintendent that’s visiting Canada for his first time next week. Right now in Edmonton its MINUS TWENTY SIX without windchill. Brou-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha…. <----that’s my evil laugh sound.)

No comments:

Post a Comment