Rambling Updates

It's always hectic the day before I leave Etown for back home. And today was no exception. I renewed my car registration, had a work meeting, got my hair done, picked up last minute things I can't get in MG, picked up my passport, did 3 loads of laundry and packed my suitcase. Oh, yeah, and called the dentist because I'm in a bit of pain since my implant and it turns out I have to go back to the dentist BEFORE I fly out tomorrow morning. Sheesh.

My priorties while I'm in Canada are mainly spending time with family and friends and trying to relax as much as possible. This rotation was a bit different because my priorties were a bit more focused on getting the beginnings of a relationship with Sergio's daughters. He has two great little ladies, but these kinds of situations can be tricky.

To be honest, the first time I met them I was ridiculously shy and awkward. As the adult in the situation, I would have liked to say I lead by example and tried to make things less awkward, but I can't. I was painfully awkward and so nervous that I couldn't really communicate in French with them. Sheesh.

Since that time, we have had a bit of phone contact and more time has passed. I'm in no rush to get super close to them, nor do I want to be their BFFs, but I want to have an easy relationship with them, since I care a lot about their father, and it's kinda a package deal. :)

I was really nervous about our Banff ski trip, but I think it went wonderfully. We all acted like...well...normal people instead of awkward teenagers (even though...they are...I guess...awkward teenagers - or almost teenagers). I had a good time with them and I think there were even some times where we made each other laugh.

I never thought I'd date a man with children (I never thought I'd move to Africa), and it's proving to be really interesting on so many levels. There are things that I can understand but can't relate to. There are things that are so unfamiliar to me that I feel out of place at times (not because of them, but more because of my upbringing and the fact that I don't have siblings), but I'm finding the process a lot more enjoyable and a lot less stressful now - although I still overthink like EVERYTHING when it comes to them. (First, I have to say that I overthing like a lot of things in my life...and also that I have...an extremely tense relationship with dad's wife, and I would never want that to be the case on this end.)

Anyway...I don't know what my point is here, other than, unfortunately, because a different priority/agenda for this rotation, I didn't get to spend as much time with my family and friends as I would have liked. The good news for that is that I'm seeing my mom in Madagascar in May, and then I'll be back in Canada in July again. Not sure for how long or what I'll be doing, but I'll be here at least.

I'm not returning back to Madagascar until Tuesday night, but tomorrow morning I'm off to Montreal and then on Friday I'm off to Quebec City to meet most of Sergio's family. YIKES!!! I think I'll need a tranquilizer or at least a shot of tequila to calm me down!

Nerves aside, I am really looking forward to seeing Quebec City. I was there on a school trip in grade 9 and it will be super interesting to see what I think of it now that I'm all growed up.

Okay, enough rambling. Off to bed. And then the dentist. And then the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment