Last Minute Family Plans

We found out earlier this week that Louis' oldest brother would be passing through Tana on his way to Diego (where is his wife is originally from). They arrived Friday and would leave Sunday morning at 05h00! We found Air Mad tickets that left just after work finished. We could be at their hotel by 20h00, have a late dinner, and then take the Sunday flight

Late last night we got an SMS telling us the (not surprising) news that our 18h30 flight was delayed until 21h30. Um...so we'd get there at like 23h00. I asked a travel company that our company travel department uses to check if there was any seats on the earlier flights (which meant missing work), and they told me there were none.

I didn't believe the agency. Our travel group is good....but the agency is not so reliable. At 08h00, I went to the Air Mad office and tried to buy tickets on the earlier flight. Success! We got two seats leaving at 10h20. After I purchased the tickets (which takes some time), I had 45 minutes to get back to camp (which can take 15-30 minutes depending on traffic), pack and leave for the airport. I through a bunch of different clothes into a suitcase (some of which don't really make sense. Do I really need TWO sweaters in summer?) and off we went. (I forgot my iTouch. Which is kind of anxiety-causing....but I'm trying to deal).

When we got to the airport....it was complete chaos. Like, Air Mad is chaos defined, but what we saw was nothing like the past. People that had arrived hours ago with no luggage were in the same lineup as people trying to check in. After an hour or an hour and a half, we were checked in. Our 10h20 flight left around 12h30. Two hour delay? That's good news as far as Air Mad is concerned.

We got a taxi and headed to the hotel, met my brother and sister in law (and nieces and nephew) and hung out for a bit. I went to shower, and somehow ended up falling asleep for an hour. Wow, that was an awesome nap and I'm not sure how I would have made it through supper. Turns out that we were chatting for so long that we didn't end up at the restaurant until 22h30! I ordered an omelet because that always seems to be the safest thing for me here, but I couldn't choke it down. I took that as a sign that I shouldn't try to eat it. OH  - But just before supper, we got an SMS saying our flight tomorrow is CANCELLED. And here's the thing with Air Mad, if they cancel a flight, they don't add another flight to their regular schedule.

I have a couple of emails out seeing what our options are. The easiest one would be if we stayed another night and took the 07h00 charter Monday morning...but as it's Christmas Eve...I don't know what's going to be going on. I do not have a clue what is going to happen to get us home.

So....remember when I was all sad because I wasn't doing anything for Christmas and I missed my family? Well, I just spent an awesome night with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law, got to hang out with the cutest three little kids (one of which has just turned two and doesn't really like me), and now, I'm on an adventure to get back to Toamasina. Interesting how that all works.

No comments:

Post a Comment