The yoga retreat that may never be...

I have extremely spotty Internet...so I'm trying to post this from my phone, hopefully it works!

On Monday, a very nice lady, Diana picked me up, and we drove three-ish hours, stopping for lunch in an adorable place along the way. South Africa never ceases to amaze me how beautiful it is!

The drive was rather long for me, as I had been sick part if Saturday and Sunday and was tired from not sleeping well. But we got here, and got right into it.

It's so beautiful here, it's like a postcard. I'm staying in a chalet that is equally as beautiful and the property is surrounded by mountains, cows, lakes, and baboons!

We were together from about 3-8pm, and by 830pm, I was wiped. I had coughed a lot during yoga, and my energy was down.

That was the last time I saw the yoga studio. I woke up Tuesday with a horrible cough, breathing was a but laboured, and no energy. I woke up at 6am and went anyway, and was basically sent home (to my cottage) for bed rest. This isn't a boot camp yoga retreat, this is like a "honour your body" retreat. I was clearly in poor health, so I had to rest.

Throughout the day, Susie, the organizer (and one of the teachers) would check on me, being me food and vitamins, and continue to encourage me to allow myself to rest and not focus so much on the retreat. Focus on getting better was the priority.

Today I had planned to join the rest if the group at the 1030 session, but there was no way my body would be able to walk the five minute walk (or possibly make it out the front door).

So this afternoon, they took me to the doctors. And guess what? I've got bronchitis! Prescription: a lot of drugs and bed rest.

So that's how the retreat has been so far. My days go something like this: sweat, sleep, shiver, eat, sleep, sleep, sleep, and repeat. Oh, of course, I can't forget the non stop coughing and intense body pains.

Who the hell goes on a freaking yoga retreat and gets bronchitis???

On the plus side, I've had the most amazing care. Two of the ladies here check on me constantly and make me tea or bring meals or bring me whatever they have in their possession that they think might help me. So if I was going to get sick somewhere, here's the place to do it!

While I'm seriously disappointed that I'm not able to take part in the yoga activities, at least I'm sick in a country with fantastic doctors (and cheap) and surrounded by a bunch of extremely caring ladies.

Who knows, I might still be able to attend some if the activities later on in the week, but for now, I'm off to bed.

(A quick note, I have another doctors appointment on Friday if I don't see some serious results.)

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh! Get better real soon and be very carful that you are using everything you can to protect your lungs. I'm sorry your all by yourself. Thank goodness for those lovely ladies. Thank them for me for being your caregivers away from home.Love G&G xxoo

    ReplyDelete