FOOD

A few months ago, a friend started to question the way she was eating. She was healthy, active, but had gained weight and was having a hard time understanding why. She recently started eating a keto adapted diet and has been having a great time with it, including the benefit of weight loss. (You can read about her here).


I started reading about her story, then about keto adapted regimes, then paleo, and a a million other articles on the internet.


I think I am physically very healthy. I regularly work out in various ways (some strength, some running, some High Intensity Interval Training). I have the base knowledge of what food is good for you and what food isn't the best to eat every day. But I do have some health problems and I think that my diet (not "diet" as in like, "I won't eat sugar for a month" kind of diet, but diet meaning like the foods that I eat every day) needs an overhaul.


I've always struggled with my weight. I did Weight Watchers in 2006 and it was incredibly successful and it taught me to pay attention to portion sizes, but it provided very little as to WHAT to eat. Example: I would buy whatever processed foods that were low in calorie or had a snazzy "Only 100 calories!!" because I knew that it would be sweet, carby, and only add up to 2 Weight Watchers points, but yet I avoided eating a banana because it was sometimes 3 points.


That same year I started to be very active, I trained for half marathons and worked out really hard three times a week, and I gained allllll my weight back. For the past three years, my weight has been up and down and all over the place. To be healthier overall, I should to lose about 20lbs. For vanity reasons, I'd like to lose another 10lbs.


But that's just the weight component, which is really secondary to the big picture. Technically...I could probably stay this weight and my doctor wouldn't complain too terribly much. My real health concern is my diet. I can eat oohhhhhh so healthy sometimes and then others, eat like total and complete crap. I am a sugar addict. I avoid bread and potatoes to minimize my carb intake, but can't go more than a few days without a McDonald's medium Coca Cola (which is conveniently on sale for $1 throughout the summer). If my problem stopped there, I wouldn't be too concerned. But I have mad cravings (that I give into most of the time) that leave me feeling not great. Emotional eating is certainly a problem of mine, and it's not a great feeling to have. I think it's fine to have a Coke or a treat every day even, but I go without for days or a week, and then totally cave and sugar binge. I've come to the conclusion that I need to kick my sugar binge cycle, while finding out which foods are best for my body, without being neurotic about the whole thing. (<----that is really the MOST important. I want something lifelong...not a six month Weight Watchers repeat)


I have to admit when I read about the diet changes my friend was taking, I was ready to buy all the books and food, and just jump in, and then I realized that while I totally and completely agree with her approach, that I need to take baby steps.


I mean, it was just two weeks ago that we signed up for SOS CUISINE because we weren't even eating meals at home. For me to embark on a complete lifestyle change, while I'm going through all of this moving stuff and job hunting stuff, isn't practical. So for now, I'm making tiny, tiny changes to my diet (again, not diet, but the food that I eat), and I'm doing a lot of research (which, now that I write about it, is pretty much how my friend started out, so I guess I am copying her! :P).


I also find it incredibly interesting to read about which foods are good for whichever health condition. There are some foods that are anti-inflammatory, there are some foods that are known to aggravate one's gut, there are some foods that are helpful if someone has an auto-immune disease.


Personally, I'd like to find foods that help to regulate my blood sugar so that I'm not on highs and crashes all the time (and this goes much further than just consuming complex carbs and enough fat/protein like I had originally thought), foods that help my muscles heal after a strength workout, foods that help keep my bones and joints strong while I run, and foods that may lead to less anxiety, which is always something that has been around in my world. (For example, did you know that some people that suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder suffer from a lack of Magnesium?)

I don't know if it's as simple as this...but imagine if I stop eating a certain type of foods and then notice that my headaches go away? Or that I'm less sore after a workout? All because of what I eat? I think that the amount of information out there is completely overwhelming, so for the moment, I am going to focus on WHOLE foods. Meaning as little processed food as possible. I think it's amazing to find out that some of the "healthy" food that we eat is actually processed and contains tons of chemicals and preservatives. Especially since I've started cooking again, I notice that some of what goes into my recipes is actual total crap. This frustrates me because here I am cooking, using healthy ingredients to try to get and stay as healthy as possible, and here I'm shoving it full of growth hormones, pesticides, etc!

I'm going to make sure I start labelling my posts, so if the nutrition stuff bores you, feel free to skip ahead.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to learning more about FOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment