Weight Loss - Week 5

Since the summer, I've been trying to lose some weight. It may not look like it, but I'm in very good shape. I train 4-6x a week, workouts ranging from running, kickboxing, to strength training, to whatever. I'm a Beachbody subscriber and have 2 DVD sets…and let me tell you, if you think you can't get a good workout from a DVD, Google, "Les Mills Combat" and watch a few videos. It's pretty intense.

 

I'm on medication that not only aids in the weight gain process, but makes it harder for me to lose weight. But, that's only part of it. The other part if it comes from very inconsistent eating. I can tell you what's healthy and what's not and talk your ear off about it for hours. But…at night…or when I'm a little run down…I'd much rather make a meal out of a bag of chocolate almonds than say....some spiced chicken, a small serving of sweet potatoes topped with grass-fed butter and some baked brussel spouts (which is one of my favorite meals that I make).

 

A few weeks ago, while Louis was still away, I got into the habit of making an entire week's worth of meals to keep in the fridge. There was no decision making after a hard day of work. Just take out container, dump onto plate, heat in microwave. BUT, then came the weekends. Drive-thru sweetened coffees, coffee cake, some ice cream, and so forth. Now, I'm not JUST eating that, but any girl can tell you how her hormones can affect their eating patterns. Louis being away + me having a hard/long day = ice cream party. Or chocolate party.

 

I'm going it my 5th week of being "recommitted" to  my weight loss…and last week (my birthday week) was a complete bust. Sure my meals were relatively healthy, but there was a lot of cake, chocolates received as a gift, and a big pizza party to attend, as well as my mother-in-law's famous breakfast.

 

I'm quite happy that I'm in good shape – fitness wise. But I'm not happy with my eating patterns. I know I'm only 35 (!!!), but I'm not setting myself up for healthy aging. The influx of sugar that comes with the crap that I eat is sure to contribute to a higher risk of diabetes. And if I'm lucky enough to have kids…what kind of example would I be setting? Eat super healthy and then eat a bag of sugar?

 

Anyway, the whole point of this post is to recommit totally as public as I can. I'll be having weekly weigh-ins (I've decided Thursday is a good day) and I'll note how much I've lost (or gained….should that be the case) and post how the week went, nutrition wise.

 

I should clarify, I'm not on a diet. For example: lunch this afternoon concluded with 2 squares of 85% dark chocolate. I have also have a bit of sweetened coconut cream in my morning coffee. But I try to make sure I get at least 6 servings of non-starchy veggies, and 2-4 servings of fruit/day. I "generally" follow the 21-Day-Fix approach. Basically there are containers of a certain size that help you make correct portions and a general calculation to help you reach your caloric goal, divided by carbs, fruits, vegies, proteins, and good fats. If you don't know what "good fats" are….watch the news. It's all the rage right now. Examples are: grassfed butter, nuts, coconut oil, avocado, and many, many more.

 

I thought about posting my meals every day, but I think that will just drive me crazy… I'd like to make this a healthy thing for me…not an obsessive-weight loss thing (which is really easy for us chicks to get int).

 

Also, I recently purchased a FitBit, which I LOVE! It makes me super happy to see just how active I am during the day! Almost every weekday I reach 10,000 steps (certainly my walk to work helps). I didn't think that I moved around that much, but it helps keep me motivated when I'm not working out.

In general, I just want to be a healthier person – mind, body, and spirit!

 

So, thanks for your support…as I go into #week5 of my recommitted weight loss and we'll see what the scale says on Thursday!.

1 comment:

  1. I love my Fitbit. Good for you; you look great :)

    ReplyDelete