Grief

It's like a broken leg.

Sure, it hurts a lot at first, but the pain subsides.

You wear a cast for awhile.

It's awkward, doing everything takes longer, is more difficult, often seemingly impossible or requiring a significant amount of assistance.

The cast comes off, but still, those everyday tasks are different, difficult, and requires adjustment & time. 

The injury stays forever. On a rainy or cold day, the pain is there, long after you've recovered.

I've been trying to focus on the good. No more suffering, a long life lived, a happy life lived. But everything feels off. Sleeping, walking, working...

Today I completely broke down to maybe one of the smartest people I know who spoke to be about the similarities between grief and a broken leg. It completely resonated with me & I love the analogy. 

I'm trying to remember I'm hurt....injured...recovering...that this will take a long, long time. And that's ok. 



1 comment:

  1. We all experience grief differently, but the analogy is a good one. With the passing of your grandpa and a divorce, well, you have broken a leg and a sprained ankle...

    ReplyDelete