Aug 17: The good, the bad, and the ugly.
Since I’m talking mostly French now – I’m going to do it backwards…
The ugly
1. My reaction to people just trying to help back home.
I know that if I was sitting at home in Canada and someone called me with some problems, I would come up with some solutions with the intent of helping that person. That makes total sense. But what doesn’t make sense here – is…well HERE. In 99% of the day-to-day activities logic does not come into play. (I know that I’ve said this before. And I don’t know how to explain it… maybe next week I’ll have some good examples.) So, last night, after my run, when I was FINALLY able to reach someone (stupid phone, stupid internet) and they started with some “helpful” suggestions….I didn’t react well.
I know that I can always talk to other expats here, but sometimes it’s nice to talk to people that I know back home. But – there’s a problem with that. No one knows what it’s like here. I can try to explain it…but, no one can really understand. That + my lack of consistent internet/phone connection = me feeling really isolated.
The bad
1. The lack consistent phone/internet connection
2. The close proximity of the commissary which has some pretty good cookies with Arab-looking writing on the package
3. The smell from this one France lady
4. My big scary boss who comes back tomorrow.
We have had some….interesting talks on the phone in the last six months….and he has a reputation of being the big scary boss… this should be…(I know, I know….)interesting.
The good
1. The likelihood that I’ll adapt is extremely high
Its going on the second week of moving to a new country, new continent…totally new way of living. It’s not always going to seem this weird to me.
2. My experiences….even the little little ones
Last night I got to throw rocks at a lizard that was “blocking” me from entering my hous. Never did I think I would be able to say that.
3. The three consultants!!
There are three consultants from France that are becoming my lunch and dinner companions. They were born in Morocco, Lebanon, and Lyons but have lived in Paris (or surrounding areas) for at least 20 years. They range in age from 29-65 and the conversations we have sharing our experiences, family history, personal history, and how much we like our own countries is so incredibly interesting. They are leaving next week and I will be extremely disappointed! They will be back though. Thankfully!!!
One consultant’s wife came here for a visit. They have been married 32 years and seem like an amazing couple. She came here and is volunteering at a local orphanage! She was very nervous – but wow – I can’t get over how brave and adventurous she is being!
4. My driver today
I had an awesome driver today that I just might be able to keep going forward! (I can’t believe I am writing that because I should know by now to not expect to know anything “going forward”)
5. My awesome run last night
I had a really, really good and fast run last night. I hope that means my body is starting to adapt to the heat and the humidity.
6. The ocean
On the way back from lunch and saw the most beautiful, crazy, crazy crashing waves I have ever seen. It then hit me – I AM LIVING ON AN ISLAND. I could walk 100m to THE OCEAN. I’m so geographically-retarded that I don’t even know if it’s the Indian Ocean or the sea or what – but holy shit – it was amazing. I can see why we aren’t allowed to swim. I think if I came within 10 m of a wave it would suck me in and take me to China.
And now…for the biggest good…the most exciting one of all….
7. THE CONQUERING OF THE DARK PATH
I’m sure I’ve mentioned the dark path on the way to the restaurant/bar/pool, etc and how I am SCARED SHITLESS of said path and have always been extremely scared of the dark (its genetics!! ;) )
Well….last night… I walked along the path AND back…by myself. Without a flashlight. Actually….walking would be a bit of a lie. I started to walk…but then was in a full on sprint by the end.
Okay…
So 1 “uglies”, 4 “bads”, and 7 “goods”. Not too bad for a day…
Nicole
You....battled with a lizard...sounds like he won! Getting pretty brave I would say! Keep on with your fight...maybe you will win next time. love mom
ReplyDeleteNicole Amanda Bosch I can't beleive you actually walked in the dark in Madagascar by your ownself. Holy macanoly! I could never, never do that. I won't even go out with Penny or Dukey at night. Good for you Kiddo. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteLove G and G