The day-to-day differences
My routine here vs. my routine in Canada – is basically the same. But – it’s so different…and hard to explain.
In MG and in Canada, most days - I wake up, eat breakfast, go to work, go for lunch, go back to work, eat supper, run/do yoga, hang out with friends, watch a bit of TV or read, and then go to bed.
But in Canada?
I wake up and get ready for work - and don’t even think about the fact that I’ll have power and running hot water
I eat breakfast – and don’t have to think about what I’ll have for breakfast. I have a well stocked fridge to pick something from. Or as a treat I can pick something up from Starbucks.
I commute to work – I have an idea of how long it will take me to get there. Even if there is a traffic jam, it’s never too serious or the radio has already warned me about it.
I work – and don’t have to worry that the people won’t understand what I’m saying or vise versa. We all speak English fluently.
I eat lunch - if I bring my lunch – it’s something that I chose to eat. If I go out for lunch, I don’t have to think about how I’ll actually pay for my meal. If the restaurant doesn’t take credit/debit cards, I can quickly stop by the bank and pick up some cash. And while I’m out – why don’t I pick up something at the grocery store for supper later? I stop by Sobeys, pick up some meat/fish/veggies – whatever – I don’t have to think about it, I can choose from whatever I want or looks good.
On the way home, I listen to whatever’s on the radio, I can pick and choose from…who knows how many stations. If I’m sick of radio, I can switch over to my IPod – which has been updated with whatever songs I’ve downloaded from home.
I get home, have something to eat – that I feel like – and then go for a run, hit up a yoga class, or relax and watch tv (from one of like…fifty channels).
If I feel like surfing the net or calling someone to talk – it’s a pretty simple thing to do – and I don’t even have to think twice about it.
Now – in Madagascar?
I wake up – and won’t know if I have power or hot water or running water. (Well, that’s not true – sometimes we’ll get an email letting us know that we won’t have power for the day)
I eat breakfast – based on…well, whatever’s available. As far as breakfast, I normally can’t complain because I like a simple breakfast. But…I choose from what’s available – and it can change every single day. I also looked for three weeks before I found peanut butter in the grocery store.
I commute to work – with no idea how long it will take me. there are a lot of road problems – if its rained some roads are impassable. A couple of times a week, there this huge equipment transportation – these pieces of equipment or whatever are wider than the entire road. This exercise is guided by the military (carrying machine guns) who tell us to pull over into the ditch until the equipment has passed. It’s like watching a parade…but I’ve got to get to work already… I’m late for a meeting!
At work – communication is always a lot harder. French is both mine and the Malagasy’s second language. With our respective accents, it not always easy to understand what the other person is saying. This “compliance” function is new to them, and they are a bit scared – so it…well, complicates things too.
At lunch – I go with whoever I can find a ride with and we go to whatever restaurant where someone hasn’t gotten sick from in the last few days. And just because a dish is listed on the menu doesn’t always mean its available.
And what if I wanted to pick something up for supper? Well, all of the stores are closed from 11h30 to 14h00. So scratch that idea. I could stop on the way home - but it’s not safe to buy veggies/meat from any of the local stores. (All of the camp veggies are imported and any veggies I order at a restaurant have to be thoroughly cooked)
BUT – the ride home is always the coolest part of my day. I get in the car, roll down the window, and just watch people and things. Its pitch black out, but I’ve started to get used to it a bit more, and it’s nice to just watch the people and what scenery I can see. Its normally this part of the day where I think, “Holy crap, I am so, so lucky!”.
I listen to whatever my driver is playing. All of them except for the uber-religious one always plays funny music. Like old school Celine Dion or Bryan Adams.
And for supper (sorry, DINNER, I guess only Canadians say “supper”. WHATEVS!) - well, it’s the same thing as the lunch stuff. We choose whichever restaurant hasn’t made an expat sick in the last few days and whichever restaurant has the best available options… or off to the mess hall. The food is never fantastic, but it’s never bad either. I think one night it was pretty crappy, so I had ice cream for supper. Not the best option…but also something I *may* have done in Canada once or twice…
And in the evenings – I go for a run or do yoga. Its pitch black and sometimes it’s just too hot to run. I’m getting used to the heat, but at 20h00 – it’s still +27*C and 80+% humidity (and its winter here…). We have a gym, but I’ve never been a gym person (but will probably have to start being one…) Or, I can do yoga in my room – which is usually pretty good. I would like to do it on my patio, but I’m a little too self conscience just yet.
I don’t even think I’ve touched a tiny portion of how different things are here. it’s just…the same day-to-day life….but it’s SO DIFFERENT.
And through ALL of this – I continue to say that this is the coolest place I will have ever or will ever live. This experience is amazing. BUT – its not all perfect white sandy beaches and fun filled boat rides. It’s hard to explain to people back home that I’ve had a bad day….when really – nothing has happened that’s “bad”. It’s just …sometimes it gets to me.
Dr Chris
Today I went to the doctor’s to get my “Malaria Test Kit” (which recommended for when you’re leaving a malaria country and going into a non-malaria country). The doctor (who is so so so super cool) asked me how I was doing – and I burst into tears. I said that I have bad days and that I often feel like I’m going crazy. I can’t focus at work all the time and I feel like my productivity at work is MUCH lower than in Canada. I said that I’m often anxious because I have to worry about so many different things that I wouldn’t even think twice about in Canada.
He was so great. First he asked me what my support networks were here in and Canada (which are great on both accounts); then asked me if I exercise (every day…okay, ALMOST every day); then asked me about my job. Am I getting support, do I need something else, how can he help me? Do I want to come and talk to him every week? Doesn’t have to be anything official – but that I should not be waiting until I’m so upset that I’m crying in the doctor’s office.
And then we started to talk about things… this is my first time leaving north America, it’s a new language for me, I’m far away from home, I’m learning a new job, it’s my first management experience. And then he asked me if I thought I would come back. Um..really? Without a doubt! I said, I don’t know how to actually tell you this – since I’m bawling – but I love it here.
We talked a bit about if I feel that I’m depressed – and well… I don’t. and I think my blog is pretty indicative of that. yes, it’s not always cheery – but not depressed. I told him that my emotions are much higher and my patience is a lot lower. And his response, was like…well, duh Nicole – look at what you are going through?
I guess I just needed a medical doctor to tell me that…well… I’m normal. I don’t always trust my judgment (especially here)
And he said – if at ANY time you don’t feel comfortable to talk to any of your friends – COME VISIT ME!! let’s talk! It was awesome. He asked me to contact him in a week to let him know how I’m doing. It was an extremely positive experience…and something I needed.
And then the other doctor saw that I was waiting for a driver so he offered to drive me into town. What kind of service is that?!?!?
You know, as many times as I forget this – I am extremely well taken care of. It’s true that I can’t just trust anyone here… and I’m still not sure who I CAN trust – but I am extremely well taken care of by the other expatriates.
I don’t want all my “differences” to sound all negative. I struggle to publically complain about this place when I have such amazing experiences and feel so incredibly lucky to be here (but it’s my blog and I can do what I want!).
The differences can make it amazing, but it can also make it really, really hard. I think it’s human nature to want a routine. And my routine in Madagascar has to be to not have a routine. I can’t actually start to adapt or get used to something – because tomorrow or in an hour or next week, it’s going to change. So…it’s an adjustment process. And like all adjustment processes, it isn’t easy … but I think I’ll manage.
Comments
Post a Comment