Tuesday, September 8th
It surprises me how relatively easy it can be for me to revert to a negative attitude when I’m tired. It also surprises me how being negative can increase how tired I feel.
Now.... I am well aware that my attitude and optimism will make or break this experience for me.
AND - while I try to be as optimistic as possible– after an 11 hour day....it’s not always easy.
Lately, I’ve noticed my optimism works just about as faithfully as the electricity in Madagascar. Some days - no problems...or maybe the electricity goes out for a few quick seconds.
Other days... all day long it cuts in and out and in again - or even worse – its out for the entire day.
I also know that being healthy – physically and mentally – makes it easier to be optimistic and have a good attidude. So, I run or do yoga every day, interact with the locals and the expats, call home often, force myself to go out for supper or do something fun when I don’t feel like it but know that I should, and make sure that I get enough rest, even when there is always something fun to do.
But...that’s not always enough. And I need some help.
So - I’ve come up with an idea.
Every day, I’m going to make a list of FIVE positive things that went well for me. Some days (like the boat excursion day) its going to be easy. Days like yesterday and today....well...it may be harder.
There are only two rules so far.
RULE #1
My “Five a Day” moments can’t be double negatives of something bad that didn’t happen, such as: “I didn’t get malaria today”, or “I didn’t have incredible bathroom issues today”. And,
RULE #2
My “Five a Day” s don’t always have to be posted for everyone to read. If I don’t feel like sharing them...I don’t have to. But I still have to do them.
So here goes:
The five things that went really well for me are:
1. I had a really well cooked and flavourful lunch.
2. I went to a co-workers office and he had a huge bag of those Costco jelly beans. I took about a cup full and had the awesomest afternoon. Sugar is such a great invention!! They tasted so good and reminded me of Canada. Man, I can’t wait to go to Costco shopping when i get back!!
3. I went to supper this evening and saw that two of my three favourite Parisian consultants. They were here when I first arrived and I really have a soft spot for them. They are both about thirty years older than me and have lived really cool lives. The first few weeks I was here we traded stories back and forth and I was really sad to see them go. One is originally from Lebanon, but speaks perfect French, and the other is from France and lives in Lyons.
Today, Lyons guy told me about the last time he was in Canada and went to a hockey game. As a fight broke out – Lyons guy stood up to take a good picture of the rink. He was then yelled at by an Oiler fan (GO OIL!) to “Sit the hell down!”
Until today, Lyons guy thought he was yelled at because the Oil fan didn’t want anyone taking a picture of a fight in hockey because it portrayed a “negative” image of the sport. I laughed so hard and had fun explaining that a hockey fights are a huge part of the sport and can even be strategic...and he possibly stood up to take a picture at the WORST moment! Silly conversations like this never seem to get old to me.
4. On my way to supper, I saw an expat from Fort Saskatchewan. He knows that I’m having a bit of a rough week and he stopped to chat with me. Nothing really major... but just wanted to make sure that I was okay - without actually going so far as to ask me if I’m okay or make a big deal out of it. It’s sometimes nice to have a reminder that people care about me here.
So...that’s four positives for today.... I told you...it was a hard day today. Tuesdays are always my hardest days here. Oh, well. I have to start somewhere, and there is always tomorrow.
Hi Nicole, Tomorrows are also yesterdays experiences. You continue to empress me with your ability to control your down times Keep on keeping on.
ReplyDeleteLove G and G xxoo