Remaining Unadjusted

As much as I love to say that I think I’m beginning to adjust as well as possible to MG – there is one part of me (made up of several thousand parts, I’m sure) that is not adjusting so well to MG.

My stomach.

I spent another (wasted) day laying in bed with my a bowl puking my guts out. Sunday night, I had pizza for supper (and from camp, no less) and then started getting sick, and sicker, and then sicker. Was up all night…getting sick.

Thankfully I have an abundance of co-workers and friends calling, texting, and emailing to ask if I’m okay or need anything. I went to the doctor’s – who confirmed – it was either something viral or food poisoning. Gave me a boatload of medication for nausea, fever, and body aches. Oh – and vitamins since I can’t eat.

I’m all about getting my body stronger through running and yoga…but I need to be thinking about getting my stomach in much better shape. (This next sentence will bring so much joy to my mom – because she has been talking about this for YEARS!!)

I think I’m going to start taking some probiotics.

What are probiotics? I did a quick on line search and found out:

Probiotics are living organisms that, when ingested in sufficient quantities, provide health benefits beyond basic nutrition. They're often referred to as "friendly," or good, bacteria.
Some strains of probiotic bacteria can kill the disease-promoting bacteria that live inside our intestines. During the time that the probiotic bacteria pass through the digestive system, they also release chemicals to communicate with the intestines. As the probiotics go through, they're communicating with the intestinal wall, and the cells in that intestinal wall are starting all kinds of protective mechanisms for disease resistance and infection.

Who should take probiotics?

Probiotics are recommended for people who take antibiotics, are under stress or are travelling. Stress can upset your stomach and alter the microflora in your gut. When you travel, you're bombarded with new organisms that your body isn't really balanced out to accept, and probiotics can help stabilize your gut microflora.

Technically, I'm not travelling...and I'm not all stressed out or anything...but I have put my body through a lot. So...I'll start tomorrow and I guess we'll see. Hopefully...I'll puke less and have less days like yesterday...

Comments

  1. I guess it's true. Mom's always know best Love G@G

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment