A necklace

I left work on Wednesday afternoon bawling. I thought I could stay the rest of the day….try to tough it out… but just couldn’t change the subject in my brain long enough to make myself stop crying. The reasons I was upset….well…. are no surprise to anyone and not really worth getting into.

So I called the driver that I had been sharing with my Canadian bosses and went home.
On the way home, I tried not to cry. That lasted…a few minutes. I started to cry. And my poor driver became extremely concerned. I think (even though I get so frustrated at him for being a crappy driver) I treat him well and take care of him. I tip him really well every so often and anytime we go grocery shopping I buy him a chocolate bar. He sees I'm a fairly nice person...and didn't want me to be upset.

We're driving down the road....I’m crying....my driver is really worried…..and not sure what to say, so I end up telling him that Canada is a long, long way away, and I miss my family (which is true).

He tells me that what I’m doing takes courage and wishes me well as he drops me off at my door.
I didn't realize how concerned he was until I get a call from my Canadian boss checking in to make sure I'm okay (which I was). The driver had told him I was very upset.

I think he told a few of the drivers because several of them have asked me how I’m feeling. I appreciate the sentiment…but am a bit embarrassed (but not sure why since everyone cries!)
And again this morning….I’m fighting off tears. But…they aren’t sad tears.

The driver knew that today was the last day that he would be driving me (he was hired for the Canadian bosses and they left this morning). So on the way to work, this morning, he took out a red bag from a tourist shop and gave it to me. In the bag was a little necklace and a hair tie made from seashells (which I’ll have to use as a bracelet because my hair is waaayyyy too short).

It was the sweetest thing ever. I thanked him over and over again – took off what I was wearing as necklace and bracelets (made from painted seeds and colored zebu horn), and put on his gift.
Again he said something about courage, and that I would be home very soon.


It was such a simple gesture….but was so incredibly kind…


I just had the sappy post yesterday….but…it has to be said again. The people here are amazing. Not just my expat crew..but the people that I work with…the drivers…the ladies in the market (that now know me by name because every time I go we speak Malagasy to each other)… all the experiences I’ve had…good or bad… are just incredibly amazing. The word amazing…doesn’t even begin to do these experiences justice.


This little necklace and hair tie cost maybe… $2.00 CDN…but the gesture meant so, so much more. (And I’m continuing to wear the necklace/bracelet even though they don’t match my outfit. J )



( I went to an amazing birthday party last night…will post pictures soon. But now that the Canadian bosses are gone….I have to get back to real work!!)

Comments

  1. Wow, so very kind and nice....I am happy you are surrounded with people that truly care about you and see what a wonderful person you truly are!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment