Happy Australia Day!!!

Since I'm a rotational expat, I'm fortunate and lucky enough to have the opportunity to travel the world…every six weeks or so.

I chose to go back to Canada my first rotation…just to make sure I was okay; and my second rotation fell near Christmas,but now….I’m off for a real vacation!!!

In honor of Australia Day (um....like Canada Day...but for Australia??), I thought I'd tell you all how I'm spending my next rotation.
I hadn't ever expressed an interest in Australia….but any country surrounded by water has to be a great place for me to check out. Coincidentally - the town of Tamatave in being overtaken by what seems like dozens of Aussies in the last few months. If Australia is where all of these (affectionately termed) crazies originate - well - that merits a visit on its own...

My First Expatriate Vacation
Stop #1:
Reunion, France.This tiny island is a two hour flight east of Tamatave and I'm there for one and a half days.


Each and every time I’ve flown to/from MG, I have a two hour layover in St. Denis Reunion….but I have yet to leave the airport lounge. So...I’m really looking forward to checking it out.

Some facts about Reunion:

  • This island is really little!!! Sixty-three kilometers long; 45 kilometers wide; and covers 2,512 square kilometers (970 sq mi).
  • There are many active volcanoes that have erupted more than 100 times since 1640 and are under constant monitoring. The most recent eruption rang in the new decade on January 2! I’ll be doing some exploring on my way back for sure.
  • Reunion is made up primarily of Creoles (a name given to those born on the island, of various ethnic origins) and then, French, Malagasy, African, and Chinese.
  • Reunion considered to be part of France.
  • The population in 2008 was 802,001 and is approximately 25% Caucasian (which makes me wonder what the Caucasian population of Madagascar is? Maybe because its summer here; but I’ve been seeing a lot of white people lately – most of whomwere speaking English. This seems very odd to me).
  • Reunion is a safer/cleaner place than Tamatave, but is still effected by mosquito carrying viruses like Dengue fever and malaria. In 2005 and 2006 – there was an outbreak of Chikungunya – which more than 255,000 people were infected by and caused 200 deaths. Considering the small population – that’s a pretty big impact. So the never-ending application of bug spray will continue in Reunion.
I’m staying at resort where I plan on: swimming, sleeping, reading, eating, and napping (Napping and Sleeping are different!!). I don’t care where I eat or what else I do...I just want to relax for a day and a half. Or...knowing me, relax for a few hours and then get out and about around the town. I'll be on an island in the middle of the Indian Ocean!!!! (This all seems still very surreal to me).

(Funny fact is I have at least three phone numbers from people who live in Reunion. I typically make chit chat on the (11.5 hour) flight with whomever I sat next to on the flight from Paris to Reunion. It always ends with them saying, I'd be happy to show you around town!! I used to think that Reunion had like the friendliest people ever until...well, I figured out that they were giving me their NUMBER. Duh.)

Stop #2:Sydney, Australia.
My flight is 13 hours and I’m in first class – yeee haww!! It leaves at 23h30 – which I think is perfect! A quick glass of champagne and I'll have a restful sleep until breakfast (I love Air Austral’s breakfasts....I’ll be sure to take a picture for the blog).
I’m also so incredibly fortunate enough to stay at a fellow expat’s apartment while they are alway!! Yay for free accomodation!!

Stops #3, 4, 5, 6......x:
?????
I haven’t made any official plans but have “heaps” of ideas. I think it will be a pretty busy two weeks. I’m also excited to be reunited with someone I worked and lived with in Jasper back in 2002!!! I never thought we’d see each other again!!
My Aussie two weeks will be filled with: visiting, napping, exploring, taking pictures of weird bugs, getting scared of weird bugs, driving places, taking a train places, flying to Tasmania, drinking coke slurpees, swimming, playing in the water, trying to understand what the hell the Aussies are saying, poking weird bugs with a stick, taking pictures of me poking weird bugs with a stick, trying Vegemite.....

...taking hundreds of pictures of kangaroos (I hope I can touch one....I promise to be careful), shopping, trying a “meat pie”, taking a surfing lesson or two...and just...enjoying like a REAL vacation.

Never in a million years did I think I’d be taking a vacation to Australia!!

Stop #(x+1):
Reunion, France
Four days of resting, exploring, and beaching. What I do in Reunion depends on how busy I've been in Australia. The Oz vacation may be so busy that I'll need a mini-vacation from my vacation and may spend the majority of the time napping on the beach. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............

Stop #(x+2):
Tamatave, Madagascar
Home...back to work.

Did I ever mention....that I think I’m maybe the luckiest person in the whole entire world?! In case its not ridiculously obvious - I am so FREAKING excited to go on vacation!!! What a great way to ring in my (gulp..) 30th year!!!!

Comments

  1. Nice blog Nicole.We really enjoyed it.Thanks/ G@G xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh oh oh!! You are going to have such a fab time!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment