Google Maps
I've written a few times about the strikes/protests lately. Although they are annoying, and cost the project quite a bit of cash, I assure you that I'm at fairly low risk of being in a dangerous situation. The protests/strikes are calm. It's frustrating because we are locked IN at work, but in the event of an emergency, there are measures available to cut the locks, and other various back up plans.
Maybe some maps will help better explain the situation. Here's the plant and the city airport. I would guess that we are about 20km from the airport. It's hard to tell because it takes so long to get there because the roads are in rough shape and are usually packed with people, rickshaws, and livestock.
Here's the plant and camp/village areas. The construction camp is roughly a 15 minute drive from my camp. It's not that far but since we're on site, the speed limit is 30km/hour and the roads aren't paved.
There is a bridge that connects the village to my camp with two security fences/checkpoints in between.
Here's my house and my office. From home to my office it's a five minute walk, or if we go through the main gate (the farther black line), I think it would take fifteen minutes if walking. I was going to mark off areas that were fenced in...but really, everything is fenced it, but seperately. The areas in black are checkpoints that I use to enter/exit work/home.
To date, the protestors have locked these three checkpoints (and some others) thus locking us in at work. We generally have some notice before this is going to happen, so on occasion (like today) we come in to work at a ridiculous hour so that we avoid the protestors and can get locked into work. This way, we all get our work done and there is less of an impact. But the only people that can get to work are those that live in the village or camps. Anyone living in town (which is 90% of our workforce) is stuck outside of the plant. It makes for quiet days, but it also means that the plant is essentially shut down, which is a VERY big deal.
Today was an early morning. We had to wake up at 4h30. Although I'm not "critical" staff, but, Louis the Superstar IS, so I'll generally go in with him, since a) I leave in less than 10 days and have a crapload of work to finish and b) if we're going to be locked up, we may as well be locked up in the same area. I know, awwwwwwww!!!
April Fools I guess, because there was no strike today. Around 7h30, I went back to my regular office and it's business as usual. So - I got up before five in the freaking morning just for funsies. I haven't fallen asleep on my desk, the toilet, nor have I been a raving cranky lunatic. I'm super tired though. Will not be waking up before 05h20 tomorrow morning. I know. I live on the edge.




Comments
Post a Comment