Austria Day
Louis and I are kind of on an Air France ban, since they are usually on strike, run super late, and generally suck. (Although I will have to fly with them next year). We've been experimenting with Lufstansa and South African Airways, and trying other routes where we don't stop in London or Paris. Frankfurt has been the best so far, but we're basically stuck there for a full day on the way back...with not much to do.
This time Louis booked us with a stopover in Munich on the way back. It was an awesome idea. Years ago, Louis was a proffessior at a university in the Czech Republic, and he's familiar with a few of the surrounding countries. He had asked me what I wanted to do...and for once, I was sick of being the travel planner. I told him to surprise me. The only thing I was in charge of was trying to find a rental car. I looked on a bunch of places on line...and found RIDICULOUS prices. I'm talking like seven hundred euro for the day (we were looking at luxury cars). Some cars were even thirteen hundred euros a day!! Um...I like to "play" millionaire from time to time and buy forty euro t-shirts...but that's a little over the top. We decided we'd just wing it, see how we felt when we got there (we are usually super tired and the thought of doing anything touristy is not fun).
We got off the plane into one of the nicest airports (and I'm not just saying that because there's a Starbucks 0.0001 metres outside of the exit) and easily found the car-rental area. We went to Europecar, got freaking amazing service, and had our choice of FOUR different nice cars, all under two hundred euro for the day! (Don't ask me what the cars were - all I know is that Louis was excited). Only one option had unlimited mileage, so our decision was made for us.
I (stupidly) asked if we could also rent GPS for the day. DUH!! Mega-girl question!! (I guess it's common knowledge new fancy cars come with GPS).
We first had to figure out how to set the GPS to English, then we set out to Kitzbuhel. Roughly a two hour drive. 
But first, I wanted a picture with the "D" sticker!! So....before we left Canada, I told Louis that if he went over 140km/hr on the autobahn, that I wasn't going to get in the car with him.
About thirty minutes onto the highway, he said, "Am I going to fast?"
I didn't think so, but I looked over and we're going 150km/hr!! Between the smoothness of the roads and the new car, it felt like we were going maybe 100km/hr. We kept it between 120km/hr and 140km/hr for the most part, but cars were passing us like we were doing 80km/hr.
I didn't have room for my nice camera on my carry on, so I was just stuck with the little crappy one. Even so, this picture makes me want to look for a man on top yodelling.
Before we could enter Austria, we had to stop at a fuel station to buy a highway pass. The pass is only eight euros, but the fine is at least two hundred euros if caught driving without one!
While we were in the fuel station, I looked around at all the different food. Chocolate bars, drinks, and random convenience store-type things always fascinate me in other countries. I didn't buy anything (I don't need to eat the extra junk!!) but it's cool to see chocolate bars and stuff in other languages. I know, I'm weird.
We also had to stop for an espresso. Both Louis and I were feeling pretty alert and awake...but we're coffee addicts.
I thought I would have fallen asleep, but the views were just too great! Plus the GPS talking to me kept me entertained (simple minds.....I know...)
And we were almost there!
We parked our car (like mega cheap....maybe two euros for three hours?) and started to walk around. Unfortunately it was lunchtime so most of the stores were closed. Or perhaps that wasn't such a bad thing...
I don't have a clue what this church was, but it looked old and it was on our walk, and I hadn't taken any pictures.
Well, seeing as it's about 4am for our body clock and we're in the clothes we slept in (plus no shower, or hairbrush, etc), we're not too bad looking (those babies that I'm worried about making or not making will be good looking, that's for sure!).
We just walked around. It's off season and lunchtime, so not too many people.
We figured we should eat something, so we stopped for lunch. I thought it was fitting that I ordered Frankfurters. Well....that and the food menu was only in written in German...so I thought it was the safest choice.
Obviously, they get more enough English people out for a drink, because the drink menu was translated. What is this "only for strong people" crap. Whatever.
The waiter brought it out, looked super surprised and said, "You sure you want this drink?!" Dude, seriously, I'm not having ten, I'm just having one!.
Wow. I drank half. I'm pretty sure I was drunk. Apparently, I am not "Strong People"
Biggest disappointment of the trip - Louis refused to do the touristy horse ride with me. We may be seeking marital counselling for this one...
After lunch, we made the drive back. I think I would have liked to spend a couple of hours exploring Munich (it looks much cooler than Frankfurt!), but we wanted to shop and shower before our next flight.
The car-returning process was soooo easy. Every company has the same returning place, so you just park and walk away. So efficient! In Canada, Louis has an older version of this car, but driving this model made him think that we should buy a new one. A new one to sit in the driveway for 75% of the time while we're out in the jungle. Maybe we'll have to bring that up in counselling as well.*
(*In case it isn't clear, we aren't in marriage councelling, I'm joking around, the only one seeing a shrink is me!
Anyway, our day in Austria was awesome. So far, this has been the easiest way of flying. I'm getting the timing of when to eat, sleep, and stay awake to make the transition as easy as possible on the way back. Spending the day in Munich (and another day in Johannesburg for my doctor's) sped up the recovery process, I think. I'm still in awe of those people that do this back and forth every 6/2 weeks!!
Ausrria looks so old and full of history.Very beautiful indeed. Love G&G xxoo
ReplyDeleteI'm flying Air France to Montreal (Aberdeen-Paris, Paris-Montreal) Saturday, I shouldn't have read your first paragraph!
ReplyDelete