Break-ins

I've been pretty lucky *knock on wood* that I haven't had anything too valuable stolen while I've been living here. A necklace is really the only thing I can remember.

Our camp is over 8km from the downtown (which doesn't seem like a lot...but it is), and we are separate from the actual plant itself.

(Love Google Maps...)

Our camp is secured by a ten(ish) foot tall fence, with rows of razor wire. Each blue arrow represents an exit. Only the furthest left is used and is manned by a minimum of 3 nationals and 1 Filipino security staff. Security staff constantly patrol the perimeter
 Our villa is the one with the heart around it. (Yes, I know I'm a dork).
While the villas with the red arrows, in theory, would be the nicest villas to have because they back onto the forest (which has the fence/razor wire on the other side still). BUT, there have now been TWO incidents where these villas have been broken into. Always when the resident isn't home. Laptops, iPads, iPods, cell phones, passports, HARD DRIVES, everything. The first break-in, half of the stolen goods were INSIDE THE WALL SAFE. They somehow detached the safe away from the wall and stole it entirely.

The first break-in was about a month ago, this most recent break-in was Saturday. Passports, TVs, and computer equipment can be replaced (not easily....especially here) - but the hard drives, or rather the pictures on the hard drives - are irreplaceable. The couple that lives in this last break-in has several grandchildren, and if it were me, I would be most devastated about the pictures. I know, pictures are just pictures, but when I think how important just my Madagascar pictures are to me....well, I would be extremely upset if they were ever taken from me.

This doesn't take into account that we start to feel unsafe in our own homes. While we've always had to exercise precaution from the cleaning and maintenance staff that have regular access to our villas, this just takes it up another level.

I'm in no means in any physical danger from these break-ins, it's essentially the same as in Canada. A house is stalked, and when the residents leave, the thieves break in and steal what they'd like. Very, very, very frustrating.

There have been a lot of on-going changes to the project in the last few months, and the stress can be felt across the project. While anyone can have their house broken into...it just adds another layer to the...crappiness of it all. I've said it before, but we get to experience the highest of highs, and get so many opportunities; but they often come at a price.

There's not much we can do, I guess. Apart from watching this (while laughing at how incredibly over dramatic this guy is), and be happy that at least it wasn't a break-in like this.

Comments