24 hours

Last night was not a good night for me.
 
It ended ok, and regardless of today's outcome, it will also end ok.
 
Yesterday I was awake at 3am to catch my flight to Amsterdam and then to Abu Dhabi. Yes, I realize it's a-round-the-world way to get there, but it's booked on points and I'm unemployed. :P

I got into Abu Dhabi around 9pm (flight was delayed) and then went to go through customs. There was a visa problem. Like, I didn't have one. My dad had checked with the right people if I needed one, but the right people had the wrong answer. There are talks that they will either lower the price or remove the visa restrictions for Canadians, but NOTHING OFFICIAL.
 
So I had to go and talk to immigration, who told me to talk to the airline to hold my bags (I can't get them inside the secured side), and then try to book a room inside the secured area of the hotel. This was an exercise, because one is only allowed to be inside this airport for a maximum of twenty four hours, and one must present a boarding pass to book a hotel room. I told my story and was allowed to reserve a room until noon - no late check out. And the authorities had to be contacted to explain the situation as well.
 
I was able to Skype Louis and get some advice on Amsterdam (where I'm planning on returning to tonight if my visa doesn't come in), and really, I just wanted to hear his voiice.
 
After I checked in, I went to get supper, buy a toothbrush, and try to look for some pjs or a tshirt or a sweatshirt or something (my room is freezing). BUT it's in Duty Free, so the only sweatshirt was a Ferrari one (meaning way, way, way over my budget) and you need to present a boarding pass to buy anything. Somehow I was able to buy a tshirt.
 
That worked for me.
 
Then, I tried calling my mom like ten times, but her cell phone number is a banned number on the pay phones, and Skype wouldn't work. (Don't have a clue about the banned number thing). And then I cried. A lot. In the middle of the airport. Oh, I cried in the immigration office too, but tried REALLY REALLY REALLY hard not to, because the immigration officers look freaking serious. Like their uniforms are even kind of scary.
 
So let's get a crying-in-the-airport count for the last...week (I can't remember anything before that): Berlin, Istanbul, Abu Dhabi. I hope I cry less when I'm a grown up.
 
There are sometimes (especially when I'm tired) that I love feeling sorry for myself. I was walking around and was thinking that I'm Tom Hanks in some movie where he lives in the airport. (Except I've never seen the movie and I can only live here for 24 hours).
 
As we're in the UAE, there are strict rules. Someone called my room this morning to ask if I had secured a visa, and then upon checkout, I was asked again, and I can't go into a lounge because of the visa/no boarding pass (which in this airport is really no biggie, because it's brand new and shinny and all fancy)
 
I just talked to my dad (who feels horrible, I'm sure) and he said to call back in an hour. Things look positive for me getting a visa. If I don't have one my 4 or 5pm, then I'll book the flight to Amsterdam, and hang out there for a few days, then head to Luxembourg. But, today I'm staying positive. It's 1230pm, I'm sitting with an awesome iced coffee, I have (limited) internet access, a phone card to call my dad, a book, a wack of iTunes to watch, and no where to go, at least not until my 24 hours are up.
 
Yet another airport adventure. :)
 

Comments