Alsace
When I first decided I wouldn't go back to Canada every vacation, cycling in Alsace was the first thing that I wanted to do. No idea why, no idea where it came from, but that was what I wanted to do.
Never got around to it, so I was happy to hear that my friends had planned a little getaway in the region.
We stayed in Strasbourg, in a cute boutique hotel. The first night we got thre too late and most restaurants were closed, so we walked downtown and had some local fare.
I somehow ended up with a plate of fried potatoes, some bacon, and a dill dipping sauce. I'm not complaining, but it was a little on the heavy side!
I woke up the next morning and couldn't sleep, do I went for a quick run through the city.
After we all woke up, we tried to drive to Freiberg, but our GPS system is a drunk British lady and kept giving us WEIRD directions. So we did what every other (potentially not) normal person would do and went into a gas station and took a picture of the map we needed.
After about an hour, we arrived, had to find a place to park, and then found our cafe. So there is such a thing as the Black Forest, but I'm not sure where the cake idea came from, except that it started in this region. So we basically took a day trip to eat cake. :D
We walked around town, dud a little window shopping and came back to Strasbourg, where we had dinner reservations at a very nice restaurant.
First we did some picture taking.
Found our restaurant,
and stumbled onto a little shop doing wine tasting from the Alsace region. I wish we could have stayed there, it was a good time! Many if the people there were the winemakers displaying their own wines.
The restaurant was FANTASTIC and certainly not somewhere you could go on a regular basis. I had wine pairing with each course, and a sip of my friend's port. I've never been a huge fan, but I have to admit that the thirty-year old port was pretty fantastic.
Found our restaurant,
and stumbled onto a little shop doing wine tasting from the Alsace region. I wish we could have stayed there, it was a good time! Many if the people there were the winemakers displaying their own wines.
The restaurant was FANTASTIC and certainly not somewhere you could go on a regular basis. I had wine pairing with each course, and a sip of my friend's port. I've never been a huge fan, but I have to admit that the thirty-year old port was pretty fantastic.
Three courses, three glasses of wine, plus a coupe de champagne as an aperitif...ummmmm, I was a little tipsy.
And you know the bill will be equally fantastic when it comes on a silver tray in an envelope....
And you know the bill will be equally fantastic when it comes on a silver tray in an envelope....
This morning we woke up to a rainy Strasbourg, drove around everywhere to find parking!!
















Comments
Post a Comment