Healing
The foot injury I wrote about my last post is parallel to a lot of goings on with my life.
Sometimes, my ankle feels so good that I don't even notice it. I can walk around, I can go grocery shopping, I can take the stairs.
But I'm very hesitant to push it too much, as soon as I feel pain I back off, worried that I'll re-injure myself.
But I'm in recovery mode.
I get help from my doctor (with Active Release Treatment and laser therapy).
I rest and elevate it to help it recover and when it hurts.
I do exercises to help it heal.
Now my life.
Sometimes things are so good I don't even know I'm going through a divorce. I run and play and sometimes I'm just so happy, enjoying the small things (um...ok, is Starbucks a small thing? Because it still excites me) in life. It's almost as if it never happened.
But I'm in recovery mode.
I get help from my family and friends.
I get coping advice from my phone-in-shrink.
I get hugs and cry from someone I trust when I need to.
I rest when I need to, which is probably more than someone not going through a divorce, but I have that liberty right now while I'm on the job hunt, so I take advantage of it when I can.
I take on many, many exercises to help myself heal. I'm probably on the clinical side of things because I read books and blogs about life and different ways of thinking.
I make sure that I'm getting enough exercise (except for the last two weeks). I try to eat enough and enough healthy food (major, major fail lately).
Like with my foot, I am really hesitant to push things too much. I avoid things that may cause me pain or discomfort. Last week I pushed things a little bit...and they went well for me.
Back to my foot
Then sometimes my foot really, really hurts. I can take a painkiller to dull the ache, but it's still there. I'm limping, obviously injured. I'm cranky. I'm frustrated. I'm impatient because I want it to heal so that I can move on doing what I want to do with my life.
Likewise, sometimes my divorce really, really hurts. There are no painkillers. I tend to stay close to home, limit the people that I see, as I feel that it's obvious that anywhere I go, it's obvious that I'm injured. I'm cranky. I'm weepy. I'm frustrated. I'm impatient because I want to heal so that I can move on doing what I want to do with my life.
My doctor today told me that my injury takes a lot of time to heal, because ligaments aren't strong like muscles, and also because there is nerve damage that needs to be repaired. I just have to keep doing what I'm doing and be patient. But that I shouldn't limit myself so much. There are lots of things that I can try, and see how my foot feels, and stop doing them if they cause me pain.
That's good medical advice on both fronts.
Sometimes, my ankle feels so good that I don't even notice it. I can walk around, I can go grocery shopping, I can take the stairs.
But I'm very hesitant to push it too much, as soon as I feel pain I back off, worried that I'll re-injure myself.
But I'm in recovery mode.
I get help from my doctor (with Active Release Treatment and laser therapy).
I rest and elevate it to help it recover and when it hurts.
I do exercises to help it heal.
Now my life.
Sometimes things are so good I don't even know I'm going through a divorce. I run and play and sometimes I'm just so happy, enjoying the small things (um...ok, is Starbucks a small thing? Because it still excites me) in life. It's almost as if it never happened.
But I'm in recovery mode.
I get help from my family and friends.
I get coping advice from my phone-in-shrink.
I get hugs and cry from someone I trust when I need to.
I rest when I need to, which is probably more than someone not going through a divorce, but I have that liberty right now while I'm on the job hunt, so I take advantage of it when I can.
I take on many, many exercises to help myself heal. I'm probably on the clinical side of things because I read books and blogs about life and different ways of thinking.
I make sure that I'm getting enough exercise (except for the last two weeks). I try to eat enough and enough healthy food (major, major fail lately).
Like with my foot, I am really hesitant to push things too much. I avoid things that may cause me pain or discomfort. Last week I pushed things a little bit...and they went well for me.
Back to my foot
Then sometimes my foot really, really hurts. I can take a painkiller to dull the ache, but it's still there. I'm limping, obviously injured. I'm cranky. I'm frustrated. I'm impatient because I want it to heal so that I can move on doing what I want to do with my life.
Likewise, sometimes my divorce really, really hurts. There are no painkillers. I tend to stay close to home, limit the people that I see, as I feel that it's obvious that anywhere I go, it's obvious that I'm injured. I'm cranky. I'm weepy. I'm frustrated. I'm impatient because I want to heal so that I can move on doing what I want to do with my life.
My doctor today told me that my injury takes a lot of time to heal, because ligaments aren't strong like muscles, and also because there is nerve damage that needs to be repaired. I just have to keep doing what I'm doing and be patient. But that I shouldn't limit myself so much. There are lots of things that I can try, and see how my foot feels, and stop doing them if they cause me pain.
That's good medical advice on both fronts.
Comments
Post a Comment