Ahhhhh, let's here it for the weekends!
Life has been busier than I can keep up with these days lately. I'm not complaining AT ALL, I'm just struggling to fit everything in. My once effective list making technique isn't working so well...instead there are random pieces of paper around the house that I'm trying to keep up with. No, still no job, BUT, I'm finally get out of the house for things that don't revolve around the condo, errands, and the the adulting and 'To-Do" lists. I'm getting out and having fun, which is great because, although I haven't had a life filled just with tears since moving here...I haven't had that kind of fun where I actually LOL.
Last weekend I met with a random crew ranging from...well, I don't know how to describe it but sort of stick-up-her-ass (in a less judgmental way) ranging all the way to the hippy type taking acid and mushrooms.
Side note: I had no idea acid actually existed anymore...in my mind it went out in the 70s and now the Alberta museum has a few tabs on display with the the descriptor underneath with a few LP records and the negative effects that it can have. And in my mind, acid was a piece of paper...like, dot matrix computer paper that would dissolve under your tongue. Perhaps there are different varieties, but the kinds that three people from the group of fifteen that I was with took looked like a tylenol (Guess I'll never be asking for a tylenol!). Why do I know so much about the drugs that they were taking? Because I have a very inquisitive mind, I'm polite, and I get along with different groups. So when I see people taking a pill with a little baggie, I simply ask, "Oh, do you mind if I ask what you are taking?" and they explain it to me, I ask any questions that I have, and I take my little tightly sealed sports bottle that I usually use to carry water with me with a built in straw and I go on my merry way with my Perrier, juice, and rum. These people aren't interested in slipping me any kind of drug, but it's just a nice little comfort to have that they won't mix up their water bottle with mind, should they decide to add some extra flavor to their water bottle.
All of this took place while we were blowing up our floating before hopping onto the Pembina River, all tied together, as we laughed and giggled and had all kinds of hilarity that would come with a random crew of fifteenish people tied together floating down a river. I wasn't drunk, but I was tipsy, I was on the water, and I was outside, laughing, having the time of my life (and yes, I was wearing a life jacket, and I was the ONLY one wearing a life jacket. High, drunk, sober....I don't know how these people would feel comfortable NOT wearing a life jacket...but whatever).
The day went on and on as we played frisbee, laid on the grass, and just enjoyed the very rare summer day.
I met some great people that I wouldn't have before and it was fantastic. The sober people drove us all to where we had to go, I had a shower, and then met up at another friend's for a backyard fire until it was wayyyyy too late, and then I went to bed, my head spinning a little bit, and woke up with a tiny headache since I'm not really used to drinking, and then spent the day trying to track down everyone's clothes/stuff that was in their truck that they cleaned out to fill with floaties and supplies to take to the river, and it was just a fun, relaxing, hungover day, that I would have had in my late twenties. No responsibilities for the day. No worries about the job hunt, the condo, the anything. The dog was with me and at one point I walked down Whyte Ave with her and another friend to get a dairy-free ice cream, and it just felt so incredibly relaxing.
The week passed by so super fast and the weekend was here again. I fit in as many of my responsibilities as I could, plus one day at an outdoor pool with a friend and her boys (both under five). Vitamin D, sun, fun, and just a great, wonderful day.
The next day I was invited by a friend and his brother to go swimming in an indoor pool in the evening which was a nice treat. I don't usually do anything on Friday nights (or Saturday nights....or Sunday nights...) and it was just nice to get out and chat.
On Saturday I was invited with friends to the Caribbean festival, with the parade starting early and I was happy to go, but there was that adulting stuff that I had to do...so I met up with the group around 5, dressed in my Caribbean outfit (well, sort of, I had to dress for the weather), and it was wonderful. I danced and I danced and at one point I was in the middle of the crowd (which I haven't been able to for a long time), and I felt like I was back in Madagascar all over again. The music ended by 11pm, so it was a pretty PG night, but I was with a great group of people that all watch out for the ladies. I was done having my few drinks of Jamaican rum earlier in the night (I could drink rum all night long, unfortunately, my body can't handle it...I would just be a drunk or a very tired person that would go to bed by 8pm) and I was in search of something like Gatorade or coconut water. I told one of my male friends that I was going off in search of coconut water. I told him I had my cell phone and I wouldn't be long, but that I wasn't rushing either. It was still light out, the festival was still in full force (although not so busy because of the weather) and I found the food truck area. I couldn't decide what to drink and I had to make a pit stop at the washroom. I got a text from one of the other guys in our group, "Hey, you ok?". This just made me smile. This mix of people, some drinking some not, some pot smokers some not, some dancing some not, some squares some not, all stick together, and even though it was a safe festival, well policed (more on that later), all look out for each other. I was probably gone for longer than normal and I wasn't on the dance floor, so buddy thought he'd send out a little checkup for me. Good job and well done. I came back with a coconut water and was back on the dance floor, doing my best job at my white man can't dance and danced the night away...well, at least until 11pm.
We all walked around trying to decide where to go next, and part of the group went to smoke pot. I have ZERO issues with pot. It's just never been my thing and depending on the day, the smell can make me feel a bit nausea. I told the group that I was going to go sit on the grass about 200ft away, well within view, and look at the legislative building. I could lay down on this little hill and look at in perfectly. I was just laying there, enjoying the night, feeling the beat of the remnants of the music, when I look up and FIVE POLICE MEN are hovering over me and scare the ever living crap out of me. It turns out that a woman dressed all nice that chooses to relax on the grass around 11pm...looks like she's passed out. I had no idea what to say....,"I didn't want to hang out with my friends smoking pot?".. I know it's legal, and there were plenty of people smoking that night....,and then I got nervous and was going to speak French because my French side of the brain kicked in, but thankfully two of the girls in our group came over and started talking for me, and the brain kicked in. Okay...so maybe I had a bit more rum than I thought? I started speaking and I just said, something like it's a nice night, I was hot from dancing, and the grass was cool, I have been drinking coconut water for the last few hours, I'm really fine, I can do a sobriety test...but I'm pretty sure I sounded like a really drunk person...simply because I'm not so used to seeing five police men in my face when I'm relaxed and enjoying the night and just having a good time and then get the crap scared out of me. I will say though, that the festival was obviously very well patrolled. The only time that I felt uncomfortable was when someone would chat with me a little too long or ask for my number, but I'm a great deflector or now, great at saying, I'm just not at a place where I'm interested in meeting anyone new, and then run off to my group of friends which has a few men thrown in there I can go and pretend is one of my boyfriends...
So why all this rambling on about my weekends?
Because, my weekends are spent outside of my house. I haven't taken many photos, because
1. Whenever I try to take a selfie, I usually end up taking a reverse selfie and take a photo of the scenery
2. I never seem to remember to take a photo of the people that I'm with
3. I'm too busy having fun
But now, I gotta get going. Since I spend my weekends having fun, I have to spend my weekends DOING stuff and running around and trying to catch up. I have three people that I want to have lunch with in the next two weeks, a doctor's, my car needs to be transferred over to Alberta, plus studying for the CIA, plus housework, etc, etc, etc...
I also need to find my balance. I'm just so happy spending time with people...that I don't always remember that...I need alone time too or I get overwhtelmed. It may sound silly, but I'm a tried and true Aquarius. It may seem like we withdraw...but it's not that at all, we need to have solitude to recharge. It's hard for many people to understand...
Anyway. I've uploaded the photos that I've found. That show that I'm just happy, happy, happy. I still have my ups and downs, which sometimes make the happier moments harder. But finally they are here. Just like I felt like they would come...that one day in Botswana, when our polers were singing to us. This post is a little all over here and there....I just want to document the fun times I've been having...that don't involve anything but FUN. For a hot second I FORGET that I have responsibilities and worries and stresses....and I just LIVE IN THE MOMENT. It's been a long time since I've let myself do that...and it just feels really nice. But this weekend? No rum. Unless they've found a way to take the alcohol out of it, hahaha. I love the partying and such....but I also don't like waking up feeling like a 90 year old with a hangover. And I'm kinda just as fun sober as I am with the rum....I just haven't been getting out there and letting myself have fun.
Last weekend I met with a random crew ranging from...well, I don't know how to describe it but sort of stick-up-her-ass (in a less judgmental way) ranging all the way to the hippy type taking acid and mushrooms.
Side note: I had no idea acid actually existed anymore...in my mind it went out in the 70s and now the Alberta museum has a few tabs on display with the the descriptor underneath with a few LP records and the negative effects that it can have. And in my mind, acid was a piece of paper...like, dot matrix computer paper that would dissolve under your tongue. Perhaps there are different varieties, but the kinds that three people from the group of fifteen that I was with took looked like a tylenol (Guess I'll never be asking for a tylenol!). Why do I know so much about the drugs that they were taking? Because I have a very inquisitive mind, I'm polite, and I get along with different groups. So when I see people taking a pill with a little baggie, I simply ask, "Oh, do you mind if I ask what you are taking?" and they explain it to me, I ask any questions that I have, and I take my little tightly sealed sports bottle that I usually use to carry water with me with a built in straw and I go on my merry way with my Perrier, juice, and rum. These people aren't interested in slipping me any kind of drug, but it's just a nice little comfort to have that they won't mix up their water bottle with mind, should they decide to add some extra flavor to their water bottle.
All of this took place while we were blowing up our floating before hopping onto the Pembina River, all tied together, as we laughed and giggled and had all kinds of hilarity that would come with a random crew of fifteenish people tied together floating down a river. I wasn't drunk, but I was tipsy, I was on the water, and I was outside, laughing, having the time of my life (and yes, I was wearing a life jacket, and I was the ONLY one wearing a life jacket. High, drunk, sober....I don't know how these people would feel comfortable NOT wearing a life jacket...but whatever).
The day went on and on as we played frisbee, laid on the grass, and just enjoyed the very rare summer day.
![]() |
| I wish I would have taken more photos, but this is the only one I have. It screams summer and fun and happy! |
I met some great people that I wouldn't have before and it was fantastic. The sober people drove us all to where we had to go, I had a shower, and then met up at another friend's for a backyard fire until it was wayyyyy too late, and then I went to bed, my head spinning a little bit, and woke up with a tiny headache since I'm not really used to drinking, and then spent the day trying to track down everyone's clothes/stuff that was in their truck that they cleaned out to fill with floaties and supplies to take to the river, and it was just a fun, relaxing, hungover day, that I would have had in my late twenties. No responsibilities for the day. No worries about the job hunt, the condo, the anything. The dog was with me and at one point I walked down Whyte Ave with her and another friend to get a dairy-free ice cream, and it just felt so incredibly relaxing.
The week passed by so super fast and the weekend was here again. I fit in as many of my responsibilities as I could, plus one day at an outdoor pool with a friend and her boys (both under five). Vitamin D, sun, fun, and just a great, wonderful day.
![]() |
| Sun, summer, and smiles. And a harry guy in the background. :P |
The next day I was invited by a friend and his brother to go swimming in an indoor pool in the evening which was a nice treat. I don't usually do anything on Friday nights (or Saturday nights....or Sunday nights...) and it was just nice to get out and chat.
On Saturday I was invited with friends to the Caribbean festival, with the parade starting early and I was happy to go, but there was that adulting stuff that I had to do...so I met up with the group around 5, dressed in my Caribbean outfit (well, sort of, I had to dress for the weather), and it was wonderful. I danced and I danced and at one point I was in the middle of the crowd (which I haven't been able to for a long time), and I felt like I was back in Madagascar all over again. The music ended by 11pm, so it was a pretty PG night, but I was with a great group of people that all watch out for the ladies. I was done having my few drinks of Jamaican rum earlier in the night (I could drink rum all night long, unfortunately, my body can't handle it...I would just be a drunk or a very tired person that would go to bed by 8pm) and I was in search of something like Gatorade or coconut water. I told one of my male friends that I was going off in search of coconut water. I told him I had my cell phone and I wouldn't be long, but that I wasn't rushing either. It was still light out, the festival was still in full force (although not so busy because of the weather) and I found the food truck area. I couldn't decide what to drink and I had to make a pit stop at the washroom. I got a text from one of the other guys in our group, "Hey, you ok?". This just made me smile. This mix of people, some drinking some not, some pot smokers some not, some dancing some not, some squares some not, all stick together, and even though it was a safe festival, well policed (more on that later), all look out for each other. I was probably gone for longer than normal and I wasn't on the dance floor, so buddy thought he'd send out a little checkup for me. Good job and well done. I came back with a coconut water and was back on the dance floor, doing my best job at my white man can't dance and danced the night away...well, at least until 11pm.
We all walked around trying to decide where to go next, and part of the group went to smoke pot. I have ZERO issues with pot. It's just never been my thing and depending on the day, the smell can make me feel a bit nausea. I told the group that I was going to go sit on the grass about 200ft away, well within view, and look at the legislative building. I could lay down on this little hill and look at in perfectly. I was just laying there, enjoying the night, feeling the beat of the remnants of the music, when I look up and FIVE POLICE MEN are hovering over me and scare the ever living crap out of me. It turns out that a woman dressed all nice that chooses to relax on the grass around 11pm...looks like she's passed out. I had no idea what to say....,"I didn't want to hang out with my friends smoking pot?".. I know it's legal, and there were plenty of people smoking that night....,and then I got nervous and was going to speak French because my French side of the brain kicked in, but thankfully two of the girls in our group came over and started talking for me, and the brain kicked in. Okay...so maybe I had a bit more rum than I thought? I started speaking and I just said, something like it's a nice night, I was hot from dancing, and the grass was cool, I have been drinking coconut water for the last few hours, I'm really fine, I can do a sobriety test...but I'm pretty sure I sounded like a really drunk person...simply because I'm not so used to seeing five police men in my face when I'm relaxed and enjoying the night and just having a good time and then get the crap scared out of me. I will say though, that the festival was obviously very well patrolled. The only time that I felt uncomfortable was when someone would chat with me a little too long or ask for my number, but I'm a great deflector or now, great at saying, I'm just not at a place where I'm interested in meeting anyone new, and then run off to my group of friends which has a few men thrown in there I can go and pretend is one of my boyfriends...
So why all this rambling on about my weekends?
Because, my weekends are spent outside of my house. I haven't taken many photos, because
1. Whenever I try to take a selfie, I usually end up taking a reverse selfie and take a photo of the scenery
2. I never seem to remember to take a photo of the people that I'm with
3. I'm too busy having fun
But now, I gotta get going. Since I spend my weekends having fun, I have to spend my weekends DOING stuff and running around and trying to catch up. I have three people that I want to have lunch with in the next two weeks, a doctor's, my car needs to be transferred over to Alberta, plus studying for the CIA, plus housework, etc, etc, etc...
I also need to find my balance. I'm just so happy spending time with people...that I don't always remember that...I need alone time too or I get overwhtelmed. It may sound silly, but I'm a tried and true Aquarius. It may seem like we withdraw...but it's not that at all, we need to have solitude to recharge. It's hard for many people to understand...
Anyway. I've uploaded the photos that I've found. That show that I'm just happy, happy, happy. I still have my ups and downs, which sometimes make the happier moments harder. But finally they are here. Just like I felt like they would come...that one day in Botswana, when our polers were singing to us. This post is a little all over here and there....I just want to document the fun times I've been having...that don't involve anything but FUN. For a hot second I FORGET that I have responsibilities and worries and stresses....and I just LIVE IN THE MOMENT. It's been a long time since I've let myself do that...and it just feels really nice. But this weekend? No rum. Unless they've found a way to take the alcohol out of it, hahaha. I love the partying and such....but I also don't like waking up feeling like a 90 year old with a hangover. And I'm kinda just as fun sober as I am with the rum....I just haven't been getting out there and letting myself have fun.




Comments
Post a Comment