Elephant Orphanage

This morning I went to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. It's essentially an orphanage for baby elephants.

*Preamble: I am going to trust in this organization and believe that it is an honest and true organization, and is actually what it set out to be - a place for elephants to come and stay until they are strong enough until they are able to roam with the regular wild elephants. I feel a bit guilty for saying this - but - I'm finding out more and more - that people will say anything for a buck. I hate that. For my sanity - I'm beleiving in these people and this organization.*

Ok, so every day from 11h00 to 12h00, the orphanage brings out two different groups of elephants to be fed in front of the public. There is an area roped off and the elephants generally stay in this roped area.

The first group is the babies of the group - ranging up to 24 months.
The second group is the older group - I can't remember how old they were but no elephant stays here beyond the age of 5.

The elephants were incredible. I was in awe as I watched them feed - the first group needed help with the bottles and the second group had this cute little trick where they took the bottles and fed themselves, throwing the empties aside as soon as they are finished. I have so many wonderful pictures but can't upload them until I have a better connection.

Elephants have been orphaned as young as 7 days old due to natural causes, abandonment, and poaching. Poaching is very serious in Kenya and surrounding countries. Other momma elephants may get sick, and occasionally, when a baby elephant is suffering and not able to keep up with the group, and it is almost certain that he/she will die, then the mother will abandon her child, so that she doesn't follow the same tragic death.

I didn't realize that elephants are extremely emotional creatures. There are a few in the orphanage that are new - and they aren't able to be seen by the public because they caretakers do not want to risk any chance of causing them stress.

Each elephant has it's own little "room" with a bed of hay and then they are covered with a thick blanket to stay warm. With the younger group - the caretakers themselves actually sleep beside the elephants, or else - they will be stressed and cry. The caretakers never take on "one" elephant - they change things up so that one elephant will not become too attached to one person.

When the elephants are around 3-5 years old, they are sent to a different place - more of a transition area to truly prepare them to be re-integrated in the wild. So far, this project has been very successful and the organization does not have any adult elephants. (Again....refer to my pre-amble...)

There was a 4 month old there that was so precious. She wouldn't stray far from a caretaker, and if she did it was because another elephant was very near. She is so, so little.

The elephants cannot live on trees/folliage alone until they are 3 years old so they are supplemented with formula - the same kind used for babies!

Near the end, the older group got quite rowdy. They weren't quite ready to leave. We were introduced to the nautiest elephant, and I watched him move from elephant to elephant and kind of bump into them. He also came over to where I was standing, lifted up the rope with this trunk, and walked outside the coralled area - just enough to show the caretakers that he can - he had no interest in going any further. He came close to me, and we were allowed to touch them, so I pet him and felt his skin. Then, he focused his attention to a girl standing next to me, and took her sweater with his trunk and pretended to eat it!

It was just over an hour, but it was so enjoyable and I loved learning about the elephants. I can't wait to post some videos! These guys are just truly hilarious.

Comments

  1. what an amazing experience, brings me back to our safari days and how exciting that was!!!
    love, mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment