I'm ridiculously fortunate

After my last post yesterday, I went to Best Buy and Walmart to cross off a few things off my list. While I was walking through Walmart, I saw a shirt I could use for the gym for $8. I'm low on shirts (well, until Louis comes back with all of my suitcases, I'm low on everything....), so this was an awesome deal. I put down my Best Buy bag and my wallet, which I typically wear around my wrist. It has my credit card, bank card, Alberta license, spinning card (worth $150, I think), and a few dollars in case stores' debit/credit machines weren't working due to the power outage. Oh, and my house and car keys.

I held the shirt up to see if it would fit (yeah, not the best method ever and that's just ONE of the reasons I return almost everything I buy), and then I picked up my BB bag and wallet. Or so I thought. I got to the cash register...and no wallet. I had a flashback of putting the wallet down and not fully picking it up.

I raced back...it wasn't there.

I wandered around the store. I couldn't find it.

I went to Customer Service multiple times...nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

I thought about going into the bathroom to cry. But the thing is, when I'm really freaked out or stressed out about something, I'm super quiet, super calm, and that's when I know that I'm truly f*cked.

I thought about what I could do (after Customer Service telling me nineteen times that they could take my number and call me if they find it. Except that my phone was dead because I still didn't have power. And I can't get into my house or drive myself there because I don't have keys).

And then I remembered that Laurie (Louis' eldest daughter) had my extra car key. And that Carole (the girls' mom) has extra keys to Louis' place. It truly was my last option.

After searching for the White Pages (which they didn't have), I asked if they had 4-1-1 in Quebec. The CS agent didn't know, but she asked around, and they did. Which was then followed by, "How do I call 4-1-1?". I got Carole's number and SHE ANSWERED!! Then I could have broken down. She couldn't come get me for around 45 minutes, but she was happy to bring me the keys.

She came and met me, drove me to my car, and pretty much forced me to take some cash because I didn't have a lot and didn't have power to cook food.

So...statistically speaking...how many people can call their husband's ex...to get them out of a jam and then have them insist on borrowing money? That's why I'm ridiculously fortunate. Because even though I find this blended family stuff overwhelming at times, I am ridiculously fortunate. Both parents ALWAYS consider the needs of the children first, both parents work together to make the best of the situation, and both parents respect each other, regardless of what happened in the past. I could go on and on about the girls, but I'll try to keep it short. Yep, they are teenagers now, which isn't always the funnest, but as far as teenagers go, they pretty much freaking rock. They're not perfect....I don't always love everything that they do, (I'm extremely certain they don't like everything I do) but I love them and I think that I am so incredibly ridiculously fortunate.

Obviously when I met Louis I knew he had children. I had no idea what that entailed, but I can't imagine loving him as much as I do if he didn't. They make up so much of who he is, and I can't imagine my family life any other way. It's so weird to think that and to write that because five years ago, I wouldn't have contemplated dating someone fifteen years older than me with children.

So, while I have to go through the extremely painful process of getting a new license (which may involve taking a test because I don't have my Alberta license now), and I lost my spin card, I'm just thankful. For my husband's ex. Lol. Well, not just that, but for all of the people in my new (or not so new) family. Life is so freaking weird for me now (as opposed to every other day?) living in a new city/province/country. I always thought that living in Madagascar, travelling all the time was incredibly surreal. Now I find living in Quebec, jobless, sort-of-friendless, far away from my family, pretty freaking surreal.

But I have to say, that if I look at things in two week chunks of time, they get better and better. Yesterday Carole helped me, Claudie asked me for a ride to her friend's house - we chatted most of the way, I found myself a Starbucks (that's 20 minutes away in a sh8t part of the city) and drove with the rude/crazy drivers and am now doing my on-line tasks listening to whatever coffee shop music they are playing.

I think on Tuesday, I'm going to go to a movie by myself and tomorrow, I hope to try out a yoga studio. I ended up running/spinning too much and hurt my leg (like usual....).

I'm sad and missing my old life often, but more and more I think that things will be okay in the end. (And that if it's not okay, it's not the end - one of my favorite quotes).

Ok, I hope to have some pictures on here soon. It's been far too deep. I haven't put up any of my trip pictures, and I think it would be a fun project to at least put up my cycling trip pics!

I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Comments