The best weekend of my life. Again.

This weekend was the best weekend of my life. Heard that line before? I’m pretty sure I say that....hmm.... 95% of every weekend I’m here.

It started Friday night. I heard that one of my favourites was back and I wanted to stop in and say a quick hello. But - I had been sick the day before, so I needed an early night. I ordered a Fanta (not even a glass of wine on a Friday night!!) and ate a quick peice of pizza and went back home. I had things to do...one of which, was carving these:


No pumpkins? No problem.


I also needed to be in tiptop shape for the Halloween party the next night!


I was just about ready to drink some hot chocolate and hit the hay, when I heard some loud noises, talking, singing, and then someone banging on my door. Some of my favourites had come back to the “girls place” to have a party. I didn’t want to be rude...so – I came out – in my pyjamas – and shared in ONE drink. Look at this face? How could you I say no?



And then...the next thing i knew....it was 5h00 and I was still up dancing and singing. (Y’all know my signature move!)




Urgh. How did my intentions of being a good girl go so wrong?!?!?! Two Guitars + 1 harmonica + 3 Aussies + 3 Canadians + 1 Peruvian mad at her boyfriend....that’s how.








The next morning, I felt sick, exhausted...and just....hungover. So I tried to sleep it off, drink water, rest up...I had a big party to throw!! And what a party it was.


Word got out that I brought an ENTIRE SUITCASE full of Halloween decorations and costumes back from Canada and all of a sudden i didn’t have a costume to wear! So off to the market – found some locally made stuff and put a freaking awesome costume together.

AFRICAN JUNGLE LADY!

African Jungle Lady meets the African Lemur!


And the other guests? Their creativity amazed me! Everyone had a blast running around all week looking for costumes (those that didn’t raid my stash) and they had amazing costumes.



One crazy Aussie dressed up as me - and wore my bathing suit. He's wearing duct tape so that his nipples don't poke through his bathing suit (I will never live that down!!)


The best was a national that we invited. I had asked him if he would wear the a beauty pagent costume I had brought. He was so brave and went for it. This guy is Malagasy - born here, grew up here, but studied in France for a few years and had never celebrated Halloween in his life. Now he shows up to an expatriate’s mansion– with his boss – wearing a blue dress and a sash reading “Miss Guided”. And he looked amazing – see for yourself! He had killer legs and walked a little too well in those his MOM’S HIGH HEELS that he borrowed. Just that made my night. His boss came as a biker dude – complete with his date's name tattoed on his arm.

And the decorations i brought over from Canada? They helped make the night too.



We partied long into the night – and then I sat on the couch outside with one of my favourites – drunk talked about whatever drunks talk about until five in the morning and watched the sunrise. It was crazy amazing. As I stumbled to bed (the house we had the party in has like five rooms or something) I heard roosters in the background. A very few short hours later I woke up, had some coffee and lounged on the outside couches, taking in the scenery, the great company, and trading stories about the night before. It was an amazing night.



Soon after an Aussie expat couple and their ten year old son came over and they brought boogie boards!! It doesn’t take much to convince me to get into the water – so a quick bathing suit change and I was getting unofficial surfing lessons! It was amazing. I couldn’t stop laughing!!
There were a few times where the waves completely kicked my butt and gave me a good scare, but for the most part –I would shake it off and get back at it. I can't wait to take up surfing! If anyone sends me pictures of the waves, i’ll post them up - but I don't have any because I was too busy getting my butt kicked by the surf!

After our surfing fun we went to a fairly nice beach restaurant. The food wasn’t great, but the company and scenery – were of course – wonderful.


I must have said it about ten times on Saturday night – it was one of the best nights of my life.
And then again on Sunday, as I came out of the ocean – I said it again – This is one of the best days of my life.

I know I’m far away from Canada and family and friends and loved ones – and sometimes I feel guilty of having so much fun without them. And then I think....that they aren’t offended and probably think that I deserve to love it here and have the amazing time that I’m having. And what an amazing time it is. I have written it on this blog before – I feel like I’m the luckiest person in the whole entire world. My life isn’t perfect – there are still real problems and moments or even days where I don’t love it here – but I’m so in love with my decision to come here.
It still shocks me to think I’m living in a third world country, on an island, in Africa. With a new surrogate family made up of the most the most unique and amazing people. Surrounded by scenery and nature that is breathtakingly beautiful (and those words don’t pay any justice). Experiencing an amazing new culture, speaking new languages..... the list is endless.
Oh – and dealing with all of the challenges that come along with living in a third world country on an island with new languages and new culture and new job....and for the most part... handling the challenges far better than I could ever have expected. Not easily, and not perfectly, and not without help along the way – but still really, really well.

At times, I think I make it sound like my life is easy living. Drinking parties, beach days....and I don’t truly explain how hard life can be here (and I don’t feel like it right now). As beautiful and as amazing as this experience is - there are moments where I wonder if I’m really going to make it. And then I look back on days like today and think about my attitude towards this whole experience (most days :) ) and think, hell yes, I’m going to make it. And continue to love it and have so many more weekends where I say, wow, that was the best weekend of my life.

Comments