Happy Anniversary
Tuesdays and Thursdays I have my Malagasy lessons.
Usually after class I get an invite to go out for a quick drink with the Old Men Expats. I usually decline because…well…it’s a Tuesday or a Thursday and I want to just go back to the camp and not go out for a drink.
But – last night was a special occasion. Three of the Old Men Expats – who are completely best friends and completely in love with each other (in a non gay way) – were celebrating their one year anniversary since meeting each other.
These guys are quite the characters. One Canadian, one Australian, and one American. They have gotten into so much trouble together, had too much fun together, but have also helped each other through the bad times. The Expat life is full of adventure and a lot of fun…but can also be really hard.
Being away from everything you know as familiar – away from your friends, your family….it can be challenging at times. And, it’s not just being away from your friends and family – but the experiences that you’re going through…can never be truly shared with your loved ones the way that you want to. You can try to explain as best you can – send pictures, emails, whatever – but unless you are actually here – living this life… it just…not an experience that can really be explained with words or pictures....So having an extended little family and group of friends – however mismatched it may be – is so important.
So last night when I got the invite for a drink – and realized it was their little anniversary celebration -I decided it was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up.
It was so much fun. I sat and listened while they reminisced about the last year of their lives….the ups, the downs, the times when they got kicked out of the bars…. It was hilarious.
While they were in depth reminiscing about the last year and being in love with each other (ha ha), I went into the kitchen and asked the staff to prepare an “anniversary dessert” as a joke. I tried my very best to explain that these three guys were celebrating working together for a year, and asked them to bring out three desserts - each with a heart drawn out in chocolate sauce. This restaurant knows these guys very well and just how crazy and hilarious they are.
Well… what ended up coming out was this HUGE dessert – pieces of cake, fruit, and ice cream - that they had managed to shape into a heart. AND the entire staff came out singing “Happy Birthday” –in English no less! It was so cute.
Not only did I have a great time, but I felt fortunate that they would let me into their little group. They all talk about how much they appreciate me in this project and how I truly make a difference. They often say (sober and drunk) that I make such a great addition to the team and their little group. I always say (sober and drunk) that I feel so fortunate to be included into their little group. Without them this experience would be totally different.
It seems so crazy to think that November 10th, 2010 (the date of their anniversary), I too will be looking back on over a year’s worth of experiences living in Madagascar. Too. Cool.
Great hair. Grandpa wants you to bring him back a rock from that lake if you ever go back there.Was the water safe? Talk about living in the lap of luxury. Lap it up Princess, You deserve it. Love G@Gxxoo
ReplyDelete