The really, really, long, touristy, incredibly amazing long way around.

Sometimes there are songs that... just... well...end up having some meaning. The melody is so beautifully written...or...maybe the song just seems to be what you're going through in life...at that moment....or maybe its just a cool song. Anyway, I used to listen to this song all the time...in my car, usually on the way to work (signing really loud, of course!!!).

I was recently reminded of that song.

And I listened to it again - but instead of hearing the song in my car (driving on icy, snowy roads at -35*C) I'm listening to it...in my office...in freaking Africa (at +30*C; 85% humidity...where I drip beads of sweat if I'm outside for more than nineteen seconds)

I listened to the song again today...from a totally different environment...but also...from a completely different persepective.

Like most of the general population...I've had moments...or...months....or more...of being an unhappy person. A few years ago...I was going through a lot...and not quite sure how to deal with it (such is life)...and....I remember hearing this song for the first time and thinking, Cool....this song is just so "me".
At the time, I wasn't where I thought should be in life... or where I thought I wanted to be in life... and...I was comforted by the thought of....well... that I'm just taking the long way to get to where I want to be.

Listen to the song...

Those that know me from....a few years ago will hear why this song resonated with me...and maybe...those that have gotten to know me through the blog or through working with me (or living with me in camp)...will hear a bit of "me" in it as well.


This MG journey is crazy insane.

I'm not sure how I got here...(I mean...I know the events that led up to me getting here, and I understand that I boarded a big jet plane, etc) but as to how I managed to be so incredibly lucky to get to experience this....life....I have no idea.

Living in MG....will (and has already began) to change my life forever. In such an amazing, cool, unexpected way. I don't expect it to be an easy ride...I know there will be (and have already been) bumps along the way....but...well....HOLY F*CK is this experience cool (seriously -that's the only phrase that will fit - and I've been hanging around people that swear too much).

Two years ago...I was listening to this song...unhappy....confused...sad.. Now....somehow....I'm on an island in Africa.
Right now...I have not a clue where I should be in life...I just know that I'm going to enjoy every moment of the really, really, long, touristy, incredibly amazing, long, long way around.


(And ya....I know...this is by far the biggest hippy post I have written to date. But...I'm Malacrazy...and somewhat proud of it).

Comments

  1. Nicole, when I read your entry last night it brought tears to my eyes. Not tears of sadness but tears of joy! You have taken the 'long way around' but you have done it 'your way'....as they say! It's been a long and not easy journey for you at times but, you are a survivor! You continue your journey now with your Madagascar experience, this too will enrich your life that much more. So, keep taking the 'long way around' it's turned out pretty good I'd say! love, mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment