The long way around...to get back here.

I'm not talking about the song this time.
I am tired of flying and tired of jetlag. And then I look just how far I've had to fly in the last week...and its pretty obvious why.

Here's the map of how I get from Edmonton, Alberta to Tamatave, Madagascar:

Sunday: I get on the plane in Edmonton and fly to Toronto (where I did not get to fly business class...but its relatively a quick flight...so I won't complain...much).

(And - I don't need to take a picture of Edmonton. It''s cold and snowy...and that's been overdone on the blog the past few weeks.)

Then - after a couple of hours in the Toronto lounge, I get on the plane to Paris. Its about an eight hour flight...and sooooo much easier and nicer when I get to fly in the pods. The seats recline completely and its like a snuggly little bed. See? Pretty comfy!
But this time...I think I indulged a little too much on the champagne and wine at supper. At one point the flight attendant asked me, "Isn't it time you went to bed?" Um...maybe I was a bit drunk.

So...I just went to sleep (which was easy after four glasses of wine and champagne)
Monday: Wake up just as we're landing in Paris.

From Toronto on, I was travelling with one of my favorite expats. Once we arrived in Paris, we went shopping near l'Opera. I've been in Paris now...at least three times and have yet to buy anything! Urgh!

After a bit of shopping, I realized I was HUNGRY. Jetlag and travelling messes with my stomach...and I forgot to eat. If anyone has ever been around me when this happens...um...look out. I'm...a...bit...cranky. I told my travelling partner my problem but luckily he said he knew where we were and where we were going. So...I followed him.

Now - I'm freezing, tired, cranky, and have low blood sugar. Oh - and the sun is in my eyes and I can't see anything. We walked around for about half an hour....passing by quite a few restaurants...and then I hear him say..."Maybe we should just take a taxi somewhere?"

Well - I had enough. I had just followed him around for a half hour thinking he knew where he was going....Urgh!

My personality + low blood sugar = temper tantrum. I said, "Well F*CK!!!!" and THREW my bag down on the ground.

Right here, actually.

Fortunately, he didn't even flinch. He saw this restaurant, turned back, smiled, and just walked in. I followed...continued to act like a bit of a monster, making sure to have my purse near me...I knew this kind of tantrum meant that I was paying for lunch. :)

And...after a few sips of wine and bites of bread...I was back to normal. And....we were both laughing at my little episode. Good travelling companions make all the difference.
It was a quaint, cute, little place - but most importantly it was warm with good food and great company! (And ended up being the perfect place...so maybe he did know where he was going? Nah....I think that was just a coincidence...)

And - another first! The first time I used one of these kinds of toilets. (I think I could do a post just on toilets of the world....)
Then...back to the airport in Paris.

I board the plane (no pictures...at this point the novelty of travelling has long worn off and I was too tired); drink a few glasses of champagne; eat supper and go to sleep.
Tuesday: 11hours later (in Club class, thankfully....my travelling companion wasn't so lucky) and we arrive in St. Denis Reunion (where I will be spending a total of 5.5 days there in Feb/March as part of my holidays).
A quick shower in the lounge and an expresso - then I board a little plane with no space for carry-on luggage and no leg room - and two hours later...I'm back to this:
Ah....... much better. So far... its kind of been a crap time. Well...maybe not crap...but, the electricity has gone out a bazillion times making work difficult, if not impossible at times....my A/C didn't work yesterday (its +42*C with the humidity)...and jetlag is kicking my ass.... but...as cranky as I've been, its SO NICE TO BE BACK!

Yah...I know...sounds crazy (or just malacrazy). But... true. Although I have so much work to do this rotation, I just have this feeling that its going to be a really enjoyable rotation all around. The rest of my favorites arrive on Saturday, there are already a few parties planned (one of them is my 30th birthday!!) And then...after a quick six weeks - I'm off to the land of Oz!

Comments

  1. Hi Nicole,

    Is that little dot on the east side of Madagascar the island of Reunion? I bet your tired of jet lag and flying Do you actually know how many miles you've traveled in the last 6 months? For a girl who doesn' like to travel you sur5e have put on the miles.

    Have a good day.

    Love
    Grandma xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment