Reunion Thanks

Here is what I first saw when I first saw when I arrived at the St. Denis Reunion airport. Is it crazy that I was nearly jumping for joy?

I really wrestled with my decision to change my plans and not to come home to Canada... but when I saw this...and then realized if I had kept my original plans - I would be waiting - in airports - for who knows how long.... I felt a sense of releif.


So - rented myself a car and started the drive to the bestest resort on Reunion Island.


The scenery is always amazing. Last time, it was rainy/cyclone season. Now it's sunshine skies!




Ahh....Le Grand Hotel Du Lagon. Upon arrival, the staff greet you with a cold cloth and cocktail and then are guided to your room.

And then it was time for dinner. Sunsets just after 18h00 here. I watched the sunset tonight - it all happens in about 30 seconds. The sun just dissapears into the ocean. (Next time, I'll bring my camera!!)


The buffet restaurant. Fairly decent food, and only €38/person for supper. (?!?!?!?!??!!) Seriously. I will never get used to how freaking expensive it is here.
Had my plans not changed and my flights not been cancelled - I would have been sitting on an Air Austral plane drinking champange. So...I decided to do just that. Something about the fizzy bubbles.....always love it.
And that was my first night in Reunion. Since then, I've slept, slept, slept, got a bit of a sunburn, been horrified by the topless women (not that I'm a prude - I just think that some women should NOT go topless...but I guess...all the power to them....), swam a bit, and starting arranging my tours in South Africa.
The rest of the next few days? Well...probably more of the same.
I must say, that while I'm so incredibly happy that I'm in Reunion, in an amazing resort with a teeny tiny little rental car, and getting more excited about planning my South African adventures, I am a bit sad. I was really looking forward to coming back to something familiar, seeing my family, spending time with my friends, and enjoying some quality Canada time. Thankfully, my friends/family are very understanding and would much rather me be taking this time to enjoy myself than be stranded in an airport for who knows how many days. But I know this is hard on them too. I'll be back in Canada in August and...that's a short few months away, but sometimes, it's just nice to .... visit home.

I also don't want to be "bragging" how fabulous and wonderful everything is - when there are people that are really stressed out about the "volcanic ash" crisis. Thousands of people just trying to get home to see their children, who are running out of money, sleeping on cots in airports, and are just plain exhausted.
I'm just happy that I was fortunate enough that I had the option to change my plans. Because after working in MG for six weeks - as much as I love it - I needed off that island.
So I'll appreciate every second of my time.
And for those still stranded in the airports...I hope they when they finally get on their plane home, that their family meets them at the airport with some warm hugs.
:D

Comments

  1. Nicole the resort looks lovely and sounds like you are relaxing now too....that's a good thing!
    Glad you could make alternate plans and enjoy your time off.
    By the way....I love that top on you, GREAT CHOICE!

    love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very thoughtful of you to think of others less fortunate than yourself. God Bless your heart and soul. Love G&G xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment